FF Miles newbie question

BadaBing

I have done tons of flying , but always on business related discounts with carriers (AD-75) that dont award FF miles. Recently I have signed up with United Airlines for non biz related flights and also with Thai Airways , being I have separate accounts with both carriers , but both carriers belong in the Star Allience , when I do decide to redeem one way or the other , how is it done ?

Sorry for the lame question , but like I said , it is from a FF miles newbie.

BadathanksyouBing :beer:

When you joined they should have given you all the conditions and instructions etc.

Anyway first you have to accumulate enough points for a destination.

All different for different countries.

Then when have enough you call a specified number quote membership number and book (availability can be a problem) have to be flexible.

Always make sure your agent has the FF number recorded on your ticket AND keep all boarding passes (in case a problem down the track).

If use same agent all the time have them put your number in your profile and it will up load ever time to your ticket and no problems.

The number will be in the booking via CRS but may not appear on ticket (this can be a problem ) thats why keep all passes.

As you grow with the carrier you will be issued upgrade certificates that can be used for any booking you make

Check with TG in home country for all details.

Says jjsushi:

What class of flying(biz, FC, ECON) will you mostly be doing? What routes will most of your flying occur? Domestic US with the occasinal Intl trip or primarily Intl? How many flight miles wil you log in a year?

Hi JJ

UA 1st class LAX-San Jose , Costa Rica , my first regestered trip on UA got me about 6K , and leaving again tonight for SJO. :beer: Guessing 2-3 times a year

TG will be Biz class from LAX twice a year ( i hope )

Bada :: Bing

> Recently I have signed up with United Airlines for non biz related flights and also with Thai Airways , being I have separate accounts with both carriers , but both carriers belong in the Star Allience , when I do decide to redeem one way or the other , how is it done ?

IME, you have to sign up with only one of them. That's why they are grouped around the Star Alliance.

When redeeming your points with an airline that is not the issuer of your FF card, you'll probably have to do that over the phone (to your "home" airline), not over the Internet.

Many times I redeemed my points with BA (by calling Qantas), although I am with Qantas (both are members of OneWorld).

Since it appears you will be flying domestically, I suggest that you build your status up on UA. You get mileage bonuses beyond your flight miles at the Premier(25%bonus) PremEXEC(100% bonus) and 1K(100%bonus). You will also get priority boarding, check-in, etc. You will also get different upgrade options at different elite levels. The bonus miles will help you to accumulate a free ticket faster. LAX to BKK is 16500 miiles with your 100% bonus you will have a total of 33,000 miles That is enough for a domestic saver award ticket(25k miles) and an Intl saver award to Asia is 60k miles. Basically fly to BKK 2x get the third free.

As far as redeeming FF mileage is concerned you can redeem your miles on any StarAllinace carrier flying to your destination space permitting. Also when you fly any partner airlineyour flight miles will count as status miles toward your elite qualification. Meaning that you can fly TG and apply the mileage to UA for status but minus the bonus miles.

The Starallince partners are:

Air Canada

Air New Zealand

All Nippon Airways

Asiana Airlines

Austrian Airlines

bmi british midland

Lauda Air

Lufthansa

Mexicana

SAS

Singapore Airlines

Spanair Plus

Thai Airways International

Tyrolean Airways

United

VARIG

and I believe next year US Airways will join.

The only benefit to joining TG over UA is that if you make Star gold status you have 2 years to maintain the status instead of just 1 from UA. TG will not give you bonus miles when flying only status miles.

Hope this answers your questions.

Archived