Importing personal effects from UK

meuok

I have to import some goods- maybe a quarter of a 20 foot container- from SE Englant to Laem Chabang. Can any reader recommend that this is arranged in Thailand or UK, and if so suggest any particular shippers.

1.) Do you have a work permit and a Resident Visa?

If yes, then it is easy to arrange in England with any forwarder, however your Pe's need to be imported within 3 months after those permits / visa's have been issued.

2.) If not, do you have Thai Wife who can prove she lived in the UK for quite some time?

If yes, declare everything under her name.

3.) If none of the above, then dont do it because you need to pay duty and tax for all items. Thai Customs will base on the latest prices or what it would cost when buying it new.

4.) If 3.) then sell all the things and get everything here, prices are cheap and most of the condos/houses have all the items you may need.

If you need to know more, just contact me! cheers

Last year I shipped a container of personal effects from the UK to Bangkok (depot to Bangkok cargo terminal by plane).

I got quotes from all the major companies for shipping and airfreight, but in the end I drove to the industrial estate near Heathrow and came across a company who re-packed my stuff in a better box free, provided honest advice and gave me an excellent price (like HALF of what the larger yellow pages companies had quoted me).

It was actually cheaper to ship my cargo by plane, so I gave them the signal to send it when I was leaving and I picked it up at Don Muang when I arrived. The only issues were at Don Muang, where most of the staff didn't speak English and I had to pay about 2000 tax/fees to pick it up. It was expected, and I think it was reduced due to the gf having a brother working there.

Give APT Forwarding a bell on 01753 685685 or tony@aptgroup.co.uk. Ask to speak to Tony, the MD, he's a helpful bloke. They probably do door-to-door also. If you tell him Carl recommended you, he might lower the price for UK-Thailand cargo if enough people use him.

All--

Singha is right on the money... Regardless of what you call them (new, used, etc.) Thai Customs will use CIF to determine the applicable duty/vat...

I would agree 100% that is **very** advisable to have the necessary permits (work, dipolomatic, carnet, etc) in poesession to make the clearance process go smoother..

I am not as familiar with landing of foreign goods via ocean/sea, but for air shipments Thai Customs can (and usually does) impose a "storage fee" of a minimum of B150 to B500 (depending on girth) per day while your shipment in in "bonded" custody prior to release... If you need to get permits and such you could be looking at a week or more to get your stuff out of customs... Meanwhile you're racking up a storage fee (B150 to B500) per day (weekends included) while you're waiting... This can add up quick..

IMHO, importing used goods to Thailand is no more or less difficult than any other country.. You just need to know what the applicable rules are and make sure you have the right permits before importing..

I do know that it is, strangely enough, CHEAPER to transport smaller sizes (as measured by weight, not girth) by air, than by sea... Add to that fact, the market in SEA is very competitive for outbound air cargo lift...

--UPSer

Archived