Adoption

pattaya127

I have heard some funny comments in my circle of friends as far as non-fertile thai women not wishing to adopt a thai kid, like "you have to deal with the kid's karma (no luck kid")", "the kid may develop sicknesses"(1). Well, basically, unless it's a kin, it seems the kid's prior "history" seems a burden to avoid. Not sure about this being a common rule of thinking, what's your experience with it?

(1) I guess medical records, just being paper, are not trusted, maybe....

Hi P127,

check with my wife and she says that normally only rich people would adopt but it's more common actually to leave a baby in the baby home, visit maybe every week or so but donate money.

Talking to her about it, it may be that karma may play a part as well.

My wife and I do some work at a few orphanges in thailand. I know a few of the kids find good homes. Others are just put in there for a short amount of time, while the family gets back on track . others are there until age 16-19.

Most Issan people are very superstious and would have that opinion. Others may not.

Hi WYD,

does your name come from your work?

Are you familiar with the Songklan Baby Home?

My sister picked up her adopted son there. He was found on the bus station in Surat Thani, the same province I live in now.

Is there really anything like coincidence? Sometimes I wonder.

Chock dee maak maak with your work :bow::applause::up: :up:

what i have heard from people working at the different orphanages like the paya thai orphanage thai middle class generally prefer to adopt light skinned babies.

my missus has a cousin who was adopted of some sorts - he was found wandering alone as a child and people took pity on him and just took him on their tabien ban.

in the villages that 'adoption' thing generally goes the more informal way, people just include orphans into their tabien ban, slip the officer a few notes. in this case corruption is actually serving to the benefit of people who otherwise would have no way to fight through the burocratic jungle.

Archived