Cebu (Philippines) Bar Prowl

CEBU BAR REVIEW - Mid January 2003

Every time I come to the Philippines I normally end up in Cebu for a weekend and this trip was no exception. Over 2 or 3 nights I visited a number of bars. Here are my reviews. The first night I visited the Mango Ave Area and had somebody with me so wasn?t able to ascertain bar fines and expected morning tips.

MANGO AVENUE AREA

PAPILLION; Very nice décor, very similar to the one in Makati and ex Papillion in Angeles (now renamed Angels) All red velvet to resemble a cocktail lounge.

San Miguel beer 95 pesos, 2 customers with lots of girl but mainly below 5 except for one or two. Also one Billyboy in attendance

BLACK STUMP; Old shakeys pizza restaurant, now a bikini bar with a light striptease on stage. Girls never remove essential clothing. Lots of customers with most girls in the 5 to 6 range. San Miguel 50 pesos.

B.J. BIKINI BAR; Another bikini bar which I though had the best lookers, 6 to 7 range. Light striptease on stage. San Miguel 55 pesos. Only 2 customers.

CAMARI BIKINI BAR: Didn?t visit

EXOTICA BAR: Didn?t visit

JONES AVENUE AREA

SILVERDOLLARBAR; A popular bar just around the corner from Osmena Feunte Circle. It was 1am Monday morning when I visited and there were around 5-6 customers. There are always one or two dancers on stage. 6-7 lookers. San Miguel 60pesos. 650 pesos Barfine. 160 peso lady drinks. GRO I was talking to wanted to go now, Asked her how much. Up to you. She was tired so could of got away between 500-1000 pesos.

FIREHOUSE; Cousins of the Manila operation incl the fire pole. Very similar setup to Manila except there is less girls visible. However there were at least 15 girls available and 3 only customers. 7-9 lookers. San Miguel: 70 pesos. Barfine: 700 pesos. Lady drink: 175 pesos. Tip to girl: 2000 pesos set fee although I?m sure it could be negotiable on a quiet night.

LAS VEGAS CLUB; Wanted to visit but it was closed. Whether that was for Sunday I don?t know.

THUNDERDOME; Didn?t visit this trip but always found its standards better than most clubs in Cebu.

SANGIAKO/PALAEZ STREET AREA

PINAI BIKINI BAR: A little upstairs bar with bikini strip that gets down to the full Monty. One other foreigner in the bar and I hope he wasn?t being fleeced. He was buying drinks for three ladies and had about 12 lady drinks on his table. A dancer sat with me and wanted to go Barfine. When she got on stage and stripped right down that was a good enough reason not too. 5-6 lookers. San Miguel: 50 pesos. Lady drinks: 200 pesos. Barfine: (all inclusive) 1600 pesos.

MANNYS: Wanted to visit but it was closed. Almost 2am Monday morning. On a walk by the next day I am not even sure it is still in existence.

CENTURY HOTEL: Visited last trip but didn?t visit this trip.

Note; There are many small bikini type bars in this area but I would advise to watch your bar tab if you start buying lady drinks.

Country Mall Area

JAGUAR KARAOKE BAR

I visited this karaoke bar on the assumption that there was a bald show here but it turned out negative. The interior is very nice and obviously Chinese run with red lighting everywhere.

There were probably around 30 girls waiting in leather sofas wanted to sing her lungs to you in private rooms. Couldn?t understand the girls would all go upstairs and come back in five-ten minutes. Maybe a customer wanted to choose from the fishbowl. Looks expensive but turned out cheaper than I expected. However the mamasan wanted to sell me a plate of peanuts for 100 pesos.

Lookers: 7-8, San Miguel 65 pesos plus service charges

LapuLapu area.

I have never been to lapulapu before so these clubs are a first for me. Please bear in mind that it was a Monday evening and was lightly raining so attendances are probably better during the later week.

T-BACK BAR

When I went in there were two tables of Filipinos and myself, but later on foreigners increased to two and filopinos tables decreased to one. There is a bikini show with light stripping depending on the dancer at the time. But there is a gay Filipino who does short skits between the dancers and they are quite funny with a horse trying to give him a blowjob. Lookers: 5-6, San Miguel 60 pesos, Lady entry fee: 100 pesos

BUTTERFLY MINIBAR

I was the only one there until a table of Filipino males turned up. They also do bikini shows here and they do in fact strip to their birthday suits. The dancers I saw here seemed to know how to at least dance and move their bodies. Lookers: 6-7, San Miguel: 40 pesos but there seems to be an entry fee of 25 pesos.

Expat Bars

OUR PLACE

On the corner of Palaez and Sangianko Streets. Little upstairs expat bar that has been there for years. Nice ambience and they cook the best home fries in the Philippines

KIWI LODGE

In Tudtud Street in Mobolo. Is a small hotel catering for expats and travelers? Has a downstairs bar that serves up a consistent quality. Only problem with the rooms (could be a good thing) that no rooms have a telephone. Very friendly establishment.

Short-Time Hotels

There are numerous spread over the city but Hotel Sogo, Q5 and Queensland come to mine. Hotel Sogo will do two hour duration for 144 pesos.

Boarding Houses/ Pimps/ Taxi girls

(A) Depending which way you want to go. These girls that are offered at each place are essentially short time but can be negotiated longtime. Cruise lower Jones Avenue/Sangianko Avenue/Palaez Street and many pimps will approach you, as well as a couple of woman selling goods in lower Jones Avenue will also have woman available. A couple of freelancers may be wondering around.

They will take you to a boarding house; you choose a girl and handover the required amount which also includes the sex with the girl.

(B) Similar to the pimps but they will tell you to wait somewhere and within minutes a taxi will turn up with three girls inside. You choose one girl (or two), the other girls hop out, you conclude the money before the pimp gets the taxi or after the girl is chosen, and you continue on your way to your hotel where you are staying or to a short-time hotel nearby.

© This way will save you money, if you know where to go. Go to Junquera Street (off P Del Rosario St by the big university) and where you see this alleyway beside this shop, walk up to the end and there will be a mama sun with 10-20 girls available for you to choose from. Mostly these are the same girls you will buy off the pimps or by taxi girl method. They are university girls without enough funds in the 18-22 year age bracket. Negotiate directly with the mamasun and cut out the pimps take.

There are other boarding houses nearby but they are usually less education girls from the provinces.

GOOD LUCK

Archived