Empty bars and traffic jams

Went to Pattaya over the long weekend.

Driving along beach road noticed that the farang scene must not be doing so well. Very few western tourists around.

Never saw the place that crowded though. Looked like half the Bangkok population had come down.

started out the Saturday evening along beach road. Lots of food stalls and some entertainment on the 4th (and last) Pattaya 4 Fun Saturday. This should become a permanent along the beach activity. The food wasn't that good, but it attracted a good crowd, young and old, and mostly Thais.

Met up with another board member and his GF (the only one reponding to the "Meet up in PTY call"). We decided to meet up later in Hollywood.

Hollywood was crowded as usual. Apart from us perhaps 4 or 5 other farang about. Great show. The other board member (won't tell his name unless he identified himself) and his GF were enjoying themselves and stayed on ever after I left.

Recession, SARS, drop in tourists or whatever, Hollywood is always doing great attracting large crowd from Bangkok and Pattaya. I'm really suprised that this place is not discovered by farang, although the Thai crowd will probably then move to other pastures.

Stayed at a nice and quiet hotel that caters mostly to tourists form Bangkok (Thais). Lots of Thai families and 1 farang at the swimming pool who clearly thought he was still in a GoGo bar. Barely being able to walk straight, he was feeling up his 3 girls in the pool, whilst kids were splashing around.

What a jerk.

Met up again with the other board member and his GF to make merrit at a temple (Khao Pansa). Decided on a dinner around Jomtien afterwards but were met with the most horrific traffic ever to decend upon a Thai road. Never made it to beach road of Jomtien, but turned of just before to have a seafood dinner.

the staff couldn't handle the crowd and we ended up waiting over an hour for the first dish to arrive.

It'll be a while before I venture out up country again during a long weekend.

Archived