Do you take a guidebook to LOS?

pattaya127

hi Big_Kahuna,

Im not against the Lonely Planets books as a whole, but i realissed the first time i went to Thailand, that all i really need is a map, and web boards like this one.

If was worried about a hotel, or wanted to find out about a new hotel, or even wanted to go and see the water falls on some island somewere, all the information you really need is on the board, or information centers scattered all over Thailand.

With you living there, what do you actually use the book for now.

I remember from mine, that if you showed your copy of the book to certain travel agents and hotels, that you can get money off your stay or travel experiances, but the amount it costs to do anything in this place is so cheep, that i came to the conclusion that it would be pritty much pointless having the book in the first place :)

Cheers Roman

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as kind of an overall review. Some places I haven't been to for years. I'll often go months, even close to a year, without leaving Bangkok itself once. I can always find something useful in it. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd keep a copy of the Hawaiian one around. If I lived in France...Yeesshh! No, make that if I lived in Mexico, I'd keep a copy of the Mexican one on hand. Etc.

Guest lazyphil

<<house owners who got the prime first or second listings in the LP guide>>

Thats the lazyphil guide I assume you're speaking of :grinyes:

With you living there, what do you actually use the book for now.

--------------------

it is just a great book for practical infos on the Provinces for hotels, food, added with the maps. I am just not sure that the web has a lot of infos about 100/200 bahts GH in Chiang Khong (LP has a website forum and this one is very helpful, so it can be done, I am sure) or places that small, but still cool places to hang out in, Bigger cities, same same, the web not that great for smaller hotels and restaurants scattered around a city. Also, you need to download, and if you tour a lot, the downloads can get weighty. But one spot destination, yeah, no need to buy, a few xerox will do.

I still have my LP from 1988 trip, where he says that the temples outside the Sukhotai moat can be dangerous to visit becaus eof insurgent activities.... Wow!!!!

I wrote in the back all the places I went to, then, in 2 months. Call me a bragger, but already I had visited more of Thailand than 99% of guys on this board or visiting Thailand will ever wish to do, after 20 trips. And thais too, with a slightly lower %. Gee! Who goes to Kalasin after 5 days in LOS? ;)

Archived