waiting for interview

I am assuming by your last post, your GF is already in the states on some other type of visa. Right? If so she will have to have her K-1 visa interview in BKK. Reason, she's a Thai national and if she's to be granted a K-1 visa from Thailand, it must be issued in Thailand, therefore the necessity of the interview here.

As to the first question about the length of time before the interview, that is really up to her. What I mean is that an interview is scheduled after she returns the packet 3 checklist to the embassy. The sooner she returns the checklist, the sooner the interview. Per 9/11, interviews were scheduled within 2 weeks after the checklist was returned, but now I don't really have a clue, but I'm sure it's not 2-3 months you were quoted.

One other thing, 2 docs required for the interview are the medical exam and police report. When my "X" went through this process, only 2 hospitals were allowed to do the medical, including Bumrungrad in BKK, so she will probably have to come to BKK for the meds. The police report, which is only a recent requirement by a few years, can only be obtained in BKK.

Hell, I read the last post completely wrong. Not many women ask question about K-1 visas. Sorry! You wanted to know if HE had to come for the interview. NO! Not necessary. The interview is basically a review of the paperwork to see if everything is correct and properly done. Normally a 5-10 minute affair. Don't sweat it.

BTW, if you do not have Packet 3 yet, it can be picked up at the embassy in person. Shortens the process somewhat.

Need to remind myself not to answer a post until I've throughly read it. :))

All--

I reacall that there has been change in that there is now a required "in person" consular interview for all class "J" visas (student/academic).. In the past the in-person interview has been at the discretion of the various consular posts abroad...

I am sure that with this added case load the embassy is taking a bit longer to schedule K-1's (and all the other various visas that are issued) than in the past... That being said, I cannot believe that the wait is 2-3 months from the time your packet 3 is submitted... I would venture a guess that it would be closer to 1-2 months... This assumes that all of your paperwork is in order and nothing comes back on your name/background (NCIC/LEDS) check.. Maybe I'm woring here, but I would think that 3 months would be the outside range and would only apply to those cases with unusual circumstances and such...

Two nice things about the Embassy in Bangkok is that 1) They will willingly give you the packet 3 materials to work on while your I-129F is in process back in the USA.. I know that some consular posts will not do this and it is at discretion of the post if they choose to do so or not... 2) They will actually help you with the paperwork if you have questions... Some posts stick with the old line "read the directions carefully" and won't do a single bit more....

--UPSer

icetea,

I'm a bit late reading this post, but if you haven't already got your Packet #3 go to the consular section in Bangkok and get one. They'll give it to you. Or if it's more convenient for you, you can look over all of the contents at this web site:

<http://hometown.aol.com/nycshyguy2003/>

While you're waiting for the consulate to send you Packet #3 order your Police Certificate and start collecting the other documents you'll need according to the instruction checklist. Also complete form DS-230-I from the packet. (Do not be confused - the instruction sheet is old and talks about form OF-230-I, the new form DS-230-I is the same form.)

As soon as you receive the Packet #3 that the consulate will send you when they receive your file from the USA, send back the DS-230-I and the signed checklist. When the consulate receives these 2 items they will schedule your interview and send you a notice of the date.

As recently as last month the interveiw would be held 2-4 weeks after the consulate received your DS-230-I and checklist. In the last few weeks people have started reporting 2 months. (UPS may be correct that the increased time delay results from the same size staff now having to do more interviews.) While you are waiting for the interview you can get your physical exam, fill out the other forms in the packet, and make sure that you have all the other documents shown on the checklist.

Your fiance does not have to attend the interview with you. (At some consulates the US fiance(e) is not allowed to attend the interview.)

As one other poster mentioned, visit the Thai-Farang Board on Delphi. There are 2 Thai women there who got their K1 visas last month and have just arrived in the USA. We can put you in touch with those women.

Good luck.

Regards, JEff

Says icetea:

Hello friends,

I have questions about getting packet3 (K1 fiancee visa) from embassy in BKK.

My case has already been approved by BCIS. I talked to lady in US embassy in BKK about getting packet3 and she said it will take about 2-3 months after receiving the packet3 to have an interview. Anyone has any ideas about that such as how long it will take? As I know the State Dept in USA already sent my file to US embassy BKK since July 11,2003 and it's supposed to arrive to embassy Bkk no later than July 21, 2003 (within 10 days). When are they going to call me for interview? Lady in US embassy in Bkk told me about couple months, do they really take that long to call for interview? Thank you for every answer and comments.

HST,

There are also 2 or 3 clinics in Chianmai that can do the medical exam.

Regards, JEff

Says HSTEACH:

... When my "X" went through this process, only 2 hospitals were allowed to do the medical, including Bumrungrad in BKK, so she will probably have to come to BKK for the meds. ....

Archived