Expat, Half-Pat, Pitty Pat? The decision...

zanemay

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

So I think I have worked this out. I am happy in California and I am happy in LOS. I would not be so happy if I gave up my wandering lifestyle...

Must say I understand and agree! I too have some financial independence which, coupled with a fabulously interesting, well-paying, and flexible (in terms of my personal needs) job in LOS enables me to live exactly the way I want.

For me that's 75% of the time in Thailand but return to Seattle every 6 weeks or so for 2 weeks. I really enjoy the periodic change of pace, even if it's mostly a change back and forth between the same 2 places. Being totally settled, even if it was in Thailand, is just not for me at this point. People who contemplate moving here need to consider their motivation and attention span: then being stationary even in Thailand may prove unsatisfying as the wanderlust returns.

I keep my house near Seattle all to myself. Going from an apartment in Bangkok to being alone in a 3000 sq. ft house. provides nice variety (and lets me play with my toys without having to share smile.gif" border="0).

No matter where I am, I still consider myself fortunate to be American and would never want to cut the cord. It's kinda fun maintaining 2 lives.

I think from the replies, from my short experience and from the happy Half-Pats that I have met...

I would advise anyone who is thinking about going expat to LOS or anywhere to do it in stages if possible. Do not break your home ties all at once. Keep the option open to change your mind or just go back and forth indefinitely. There is a bit of expense to be met with this.

I am finding that I am enjoying being back in the US more than I did when I was here full time. The order and prosperity of the first world is a great refresher.

Zane

Archived