Wireless USB internet service

Last year, a Thai company was selling a small device that connected to a USB port which provided a wireless internet connection. The owner of the business came to my place and demonstrated the device on my computer. Unfortunately, the device did not perform to the speed that it was advertised to operate at. Consequently, I did not buy it. Since then, I have moved. What I would like to do is retry their device once more. Unfortunately I misplaced their advertisement.

Does anybody remember the company and has anybody else had experiences with that company or a similar product?

This was sent to me in response to a similar question

For those with laptops, a great new capability is now accessible in Thailand.

You can purchase a Sierra Aircard from Hutch, insert it into your laptop, and enjoy 112K "broadband" connectivity whereever you go.

An acquaintence of mine in Bangkok has set up a business to help ex-pats and visitors get comfortable (and test drive) this technology - see

LOGCORP

One-time cost is 18,900 for Aircard, then between 1,400 and 2,000 baht monthly, depending on how much content you put through the pipe (300 to 500 MB per month).

Proprietor of the business can even set this up in a desktop PC, for folks who have some constraint about availability of fixed dial-up lines.

I'll vouch for this guy and his operation - his office is in the same serviced office complex as my Indo-Siam business, near Saladaeng Station on Silom.

StoneSoup

The device is an antenna. What kind of antenna it is depends on the service. I think Hutch is providing a CDMA service. The other kinds of antennas that you might come across are GSM GSM/GPRS(GSM 2.5) or WiFi (802.11x). There are many others as well, like satelite. CDMA and GSM are protocols used with mobile phone services they offer greater range with telco modem speed or faster (in theory) Wifi is capable of higher speeds but the range is very limited. Also WiFi is really just a wireless bridge to what is usually a DSL or ISDN connection (we actually use it to connect to dial up at my house). Also the Antenna doesn't have be USB it can also be a PCMCIA card or an ISA or PCI card. However since both laptops and desktops will have USB ports that makes it easier on the the vendor.

Archived