priceline, how does it work?

thai3

Last week tried up to 460 HK $ with no luck for sukhumvit. Got emails from them offering 500 with a 200 discount a month after you check out. Tonight tried again and got the JW for 440, typical I wanted to try the WG instead.This is for first week in sept.

Does anyone know how the system works? is it an automatic response to a price which changes day by day, does it depend on the length of time to the reservation or what, any ideas?-peter

I used to try this site when it was mainly flights that were being offered, apparantly when you submit an offer price, it is supposed to be sent to whoever fits into the category of the product you wanted.

I never had any luck with the site either, once I even offered 450 gbp for a return flight from the UK (off season in 1997-8) to bkk which got rejected :(.

No ideas about the hotel side of things there though.

Says thai3:

Does anyone know how the system works? is it an automatic response to a price which changes day by day, does it depend on the length of time to the reservation or what, any ideas?-peter

In the US, there is a website that records the prices that people bid, whether successful or unsuccessful and what hotel they got from PL. Also a place to report hotels that are adver. as a certain category of hotel (ie 4 star) and are actually misrepresented. Also give people a suggested method to do price line bidding.

I am not aware of any similar such site for P-L HK but it might pay off to look around a bit in the search engines.

There's a web site that deals with Priceline Asia:

http://pub34.ezboard.com/bpricelineasiadiscussions

I've used it twice so far. The first time was about a year ago. I got three or four nights at the JW Marriott for HK 400 per night (as I remember..it might have been HK450). In any event, there were no problems whatsoever. I arrived at around 1 AM and my room was waiting for me.

Last month I tried again for 4 nights in November. I started bidding at HK450 for a 5 star on Sukhumvit, but got nothing, so I upped my bid to HK500 and got 4 nights at the Westin Grand Sukhumvit. The renovations are supposed to be complete by then, so I guess it wasn't a complete rip-off.

In addition to the nightly room fee, there's a processing fee of about HK70 per bid, and some taxes. I think the total price for the four nights was about US $312.00, or about $78 per night. Obviously, one could stay in Bangkok cheaper, but I like to take a few days to unwind in a nice placwe after the long airplane trip.

::

Rex

In the US I have used Priceline twice and have had great results.

Last week I was in a 4 star hotel for $60 a night and was talking with someone at the pool who was paying $245. I should mention that the hotel was empty and so my $60 was better than nothing. On the other hand, a great deal for me. And especially nice to receive 4 star treatment for such a small amout.

Archived