Crossing the Thai-Lao border

Pharcyde

My 30days of permitted stay are soon to run out.

I have thought of going to Nong Khai, or somewhere else along the Thai-Lao borderline to do the famous "u-turn" and get another 30 days stamped into my passport.

Do you know if one can still get a visa at arrival, when crossing the border to Lao, or do I have to go to the Lao embassy in bkk to fix it?

Any recent exp?

Any recommendations for things to see and do, while there?

Cheers,

PC

Yes, just show up with $30 US or baht equivalent and get a visa on arrival into Laos. Bring a photo too, though even this can be taken care of there too for some extra $.

In my opinion, WAY too far for bus or train, but that's what the BG's do. Plane to Udon Thani, about an hour by 24 baht bus to Nong Khai, then take the 10 baht bus to cross the bridge into Laos. You can fly direct to Vientiane too, but for considerably more. If you don't want to go by plane, Cambodia would probably be a better option. The advantage of Laos is the consulate in Vientiane where you can get different types of visa's rather than the automatic 30 day on arrival.

I agree, a plane would be my first choice. There are also mini vans at the Udon airport that go to Nong Khai. I don?t know the price but they're convenient.

Or, take the train. Less money and fewer hurry up and wait type airport hassles. When you get off the plane, there is still an hour bus ride to Nong Khai. When you get of the train, you only need a two minute tuk-tuk ride to the border.

Don't let a tuk-tuk driver take you to one of those visa services. All they do is fill out the visa form for you, and charge dearly for it.

Have fun. If you haven't been to Vientaine, you might find it worth the extra time to go there.

Have fun.

RickF.

I like the trains a lot but I found booking them to be a pain. If I could make a reservation by phone and show up at the train station and ticket just prior to departure like Thai Airways I?d probably use them more. The novelty never wore off.

Archived