Cheaper wine?

<<<<BANGKOK: The prices of both imported and locally made wine could fall by at least 50% if the government endorses a proposed new excise tax structure that would narrow the differences among various types of alcoholic beverages.

According to a tax consultant who is working on the proposal, the government is considering four options.

One option is to set rates based on alcohol content, meaning the more alcohol in the liquor, the greater the tax.

Thailand now assesses excise tax on an ad valorem basis, meaning the rate is based on the value of the liquor, or by the specific type of alcohol. The rate used is the one that generates the most revenue.

Currently, excise on wine made from grapes is 60%. The rate is applied on a set effective rate of 176.4% for locally produced wines and 273.4% for imports.

All spirits, both imported and domestically produced, have a much higher alcohol content than wine but are taxed at a lower rate. Imported whiskey, for example, is taxed at a rate of 50% from the effective rate of 111.11%.>>>>>

HT

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could this be related to the reports of Guinness stout falling to 200 baht next month?

Wine has always been a people's drink. Sad to see what's happened to it here. Takes the fun out of swigging it from the ol' paper sack on the street corner.

<<<<BANGKOK: The prices of both imported and locally made wine could fall by at least 50% if the government endorses a proposed new excise tax structure that would narrow the differences among various types of alcoholic beverages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To echo all who have posted, this is potentially great news...

Wine is by far my favorite alcoholic beverage and also my job(I am a wine buyer in the hotel/restaurant industry)...I don't miss it too much when I am in Thailand, but it sure would be nice to enjoy something special from time to time without the annoying costs when you really know what the bottle is worth from a wholesale perspective...

HT, do you have any idea how long this might take to happen?...if it does?

Hi Plaa,

>>>>>HT, do you have any idea how long this might take to happen?...if it does?<<<<<

All I know is what is here. I have this site that sends me emails with news about LOS, concerning current events. I saw this come across, and thought it might be of interest. Most of the stuff from here is quoted out of BKK post newspaper, and is always totaly reliable.

HT

Zaad and all,

Where do you guys buy your wine, and are you going for the high quality stuff? I buy Chilean Cab Sav and French reds and such at Makro in Surin. Usually for somewhere around 160-180 baht a bottle. I like wine, but am not any sort of an "expert" on it, and just buy for my taste--in my price range I'm comfortable with. But to me this is not expensive and quite palatable. Hell I hope the prices do go down, but I never thought it was THAT expensive really, except in the higher end shops in BKK and Pattaya. I have yet to try the Thai wines. Any recommendations?

Cent

Cent,

I grew up drinking wine with my father, but surely am not an expert like him. I guess I forgot to look at the bottles on the table instead of my empty glass. :)

I too buy Chilean wine. Quite tasy and certainly not expensive for its quality. I like French and Portuguese wines, but prefer Chilean (Merlot) wine (or South-African 'Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot 2000) at the moment for the reasons above.

I also enjoy trying different 'unknown' bottles from around the world but that seems an expensive hobby in LOS. :(

As for Thai wine; Chateau De Loei 2001 slides down my throat pretty smoothly:: but... 465 Baht/bottle. :eek:

Archived