NFL Fantasy Draft Day Approaches!!!

itsmedave

Now that we have a full league with 12 teams, let me officially welcome all of you to the game!!!

As of this writing, the season kicks off in 19 days, 21 hours, and 14 minutes.

While I could open our league to the draft today, I think it's better to wait a bit more and see how players are faring in the preseason before committing them to our teams.

So, I will be notifying yahoo we are ready to draft as of Monday, August 25 (Bangkok time) This will give us 2 more weekends of preseason action to scout our potentials while still leaving over a week to strategize and make changes after our teams are drafted.

I have also changed the format to allow for 14 teams, so if you have been stalling you still have a chance to get in. With 8 teams making the playoffs, we can afford the extra competition. I would hope we have either 12 or 14 teams so as to avoid each team being forced to take a bye week. So sign up now and bring a friend.

Some have mentioned a prize for the winners. That possibly we could each donate some dough for a prize pool for the winners. While I am not opposed, this idea was floated last year without success because of owners being spread throughout the world. Perhaps we could have a "league within a league" for those of us based in Thailand...the best record from those of us in the land of smiles would take the booty (so to speak).

If you are in Thailand and would like to participate in this, please respond below and we'll set it up. I'm thinking somewhere between 500 and 1000 baht each with prizes going to the top 2. Thoughts???

Hi Dave

While I don't really oppose the 8 team playoff , although I think that will shorten the regular season by 1 week ? , I do feel strongly that a 14 team league will really thin out the draft , we could well end up with 14 mediocre teams that could just be left on auto-pilot without any interest from the owner after the draft is completed. Just food for thought.

Bada :beer: Bing

I tend to agree with Bada on this one.

Fourteen teams is a bit much for the talent pool, IMO. Especially at positions like TE and defense. The people drafting late would be lucky to have anyone of any value in a 12 team league let alone 14.

It will also make a lot of average teams, as it will be more difficult to find solid #2's and backups at the major positions.

And once the injuries start, good luck finding any replacements, as they will all be on a roster rather than in the free agent pool.

Just my thoughts.

:beer:

Well, that's 2 votes for a 12 team league. If I get a consensus from other owners, I will change it back to 12.

My thoughts on why I made it 14 teams possible:

First and foremost, I don't want to shut anybody out who wants to play.

Also, with 8 teams in the playoffs, a 12 team league will allow the 5th worst team to get in, which may be a team unworthy of the postseason.

With a 14 team league (8 team playoff) you will have a 13 week regular season, which would mean each team would play each other exactly once. More fair I think than a 12 team league, where you would play 2 teams twice. I know I'd be pissed if I was in a tight race to the playoffs and my extra two games were against strong teams while my opponent played losers. I really do hope to keep everything as fair and equal as possible.

As to your thoughts about their being so many mediocre teams because there's not enough talent to go around...the flip side of that argument is that this will make the owners job much more interesting as they search for that diamond in the rough. Many other leagues allow for three starters on the RB and WR lineup, just think how hard that would make it to find replacements. The 2 extra teams will remove 4 starters from out league, while other leagues have 12 less (assuming 12 teams) Most NFL teams have 3 starting WR's, thats 84 altogether. Assuming 2 starters and 1 alternate per team, a 14 team league would only use 42 of them. Seems plenty to go around.

I do understand the other side though, and will respect your wishes if the majority of the league indicates they want to keep it to 12 teams. Just wanted to point out my reasons why.

Other thoughts and opinions...???

Just been trying to get my draft rankings in order. Man if it isn't the most tedious task I have done in a while. It's like watching a TG pick her armpit hair. :drunk:

Definately prefereed last years draft to this one. Last year we picked the round and what position you wanted to pick. That way if you really value a QB you mark that you want to choose one in round one.

Then you just rank each postion in order you prefer.

This year it sure is taxing trying to put every single player in some sort of order. Who goes where and why is tough.

Plus you don't have any clue in what round you will be drafting what.

:banghead:

I'll get it figured out, but honestly I am just looking forward to all of this preseason crap being over and finding out who is on my team.

Does anyone have a deeper understanding of the draft? I mean should I clump all of one position together in hopes that I can control around what time I draft each position? Or just rank em out best available player on the board at each time and hope the computer and luck work in my favor?

Without revealing any insider tips, how are you guys doing it?

:dunno::help::dunno:

:beer:

I agree that last years system was easier. But, if it makes you feel any better, I am also in another league on Yahoo that was selected at random for me. I ranked my players without regard to position...just put the player I wanted most first and so on and so on. The draft for that league was last week and I wound up with a team that indluded Payton Manning, Ricky Williams, Corey Dillon, Tory Holt and Issac Bruce, Steelers defence, Gramatica (the good one from Tampa Bay) kicking, and Marcus Pollard at TE. Not bad if you ask me. This was a ten team league with 3 WR's starting. My bench players chosen contained 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, and 1 kicker. No other defense for some reason...but there were many good defenses still out there.

I too am chomping at the bit to get this preseason over with and get to the real games!!!

Good luck all.

Okay, only a day and a half til drafting time. If you were stalling to sign up, I'm afraid you've stalled too long. I will now close the league at 12 teams.

Owners, please make any last minute changes to your draft list (Hint: Michael Vick will miss the first 6 games) because your teams will be chosen soon.

Good luck, and you may always feel free to trade Priest Holmes or Marshall Faulk to me. I'll be more than happy to give you your choice of kickers or tight ends for them. I'm just that nice a guy!!!

I've been procratinating on this for a while, but it looks as if I'll have to man up and sort out my final details tomorrow.

Has the draft order been sorted yet, or is that done only at the moment the draft starts? I assume the second.

See you in the war rooms boys. :onfire:

Interesting you should ask about draft order.

As I was looking around at all the options of the league yesterday, I noticed that I have the power to set the draft order. Tempting as it was, I will not be using this power in any way. (Although I sure would like the first pick)

Rules state that if the commish does not set a draft order the computer will randomly set an order. Whoever drafts first in round 1, will draft last in round 2, and so on.

We'll all find out the draft order together tomorrow. Perhaps if I can keep this years stats, then next year we'll set an order so that the worst team drafts first, and this years champ drafts last...as they do in the real NFL. (but I doubt it)

Archived