Does Sanuk exist on the sub-continent?

Hi,

Well here I am in my usual late summer dilemma, 'where to book for the Xmas/new year escape?'. It's a toss between India & South America at the moment.

I'm quite keen on the India idea, seems like a facinating country (William Darlymple writes very good books on the place), also India would be easy to communicate through English, also possibly cheap. But for all the marvels the country doesn't strike me as a place promising any Sanuk.

Now to compare what I would expect of South America, could be quite interesting and would surely have oodles of Sanuk to offer. But from what I'm led to believe I could be fairly isolated without the Lingo.

So just wondering on the LOS sanukers experience in these areas, is there Sanuk in India, or can one survive in SAmerica without Spanish/Portuguese?

I'd be planning to take the trip solo for about four weeks duration, staying in about six or seven different locations.

I've seen Cambodia and Vietnam over the past two Xmas's without any regrets.

Interested to hear of your experience, cheers.

In a word, no and yes, but its far from my ideal sanuk destination. I had a few encounters in India and Nepal but the slum brothels of Calcutta would turn the stomach of all but the most hardened mongers. I would definately suggest that Sth America is the ideal destination for the lonely vis a vis Indis. But if you are still determined, message me and I will give you a few tips.

Cheers

Jaga

Archived