internet access upcountry

mogul

Hi

i will be in chaiyaphum province for about a week and absolutely need email access during that time. the lone "internet" cafe in my gf's town are for game playing, not net access--TIT, i guess :banghead:.

anyway after some researching, i found loxinfo's webnet for temporary users. seems to fit the bill. just a couple of quick questions:

1) do the dealers provide "kits" to gain access? and how soon is access granted?

2) what's this about 3b per call?

3) connectivity issues (difficult to connect, slow access, being cut-off)?

thanks for your help.

Hi Mogul,

Loxinfo should be fine upcountry. Just buy one of their instant temporary internet kits (small packs with username, password, dial in number) they are between 12 and 63 hours per kit if I remember correctly, and around 8-12 baht/hour. Available in almost every computer shop or mall.

Answers to your additional questions:

1) Yes, kits available, access instantly

2) 3 Baht for every time you connect (for as long as you like), but make sure you use the local dial in number for the area or you might get a nasty telephone bill surprise!

3) I assume you will use a direct line, then it should be ok, but of course you might experience disconnects especially in heavy rain conditions.

Best regards,

Danish30

Another option is the CAT (Communication Authority of Thailand). They generally have at least 1-2 computers in their offices (where overseas bills are paid) that use a prepaid card. Very inexpensive. Some TOT offices have a similar service but I prefer CAT.

BTW this service is also available at Don Muang, nice way to pass time/check email.

thanks guys for your input.

another question, if i may:

need to access my voice mail at work (US). what phone card can i use in Chaiyaphum and Bangkok? where can i buy it? i've tried to use a card i bought at 7-11, but couldn't get it to work (can't remember the name). thanks again.

Archived