IT Salaries

gobbledonk

I just volunteered to go to help a HelpDesk guy installing software into laptops, I will have fun!

Wow, if thats your idea of fun, perhaps you can find me the XF86Config settings I need to get my 700MHz iBook2 to render X without all these crazy wavy lines. I know its something in the horizontal refresh settings, but Apple dont seem to have published them anywhere, the mongrels :banghead:

Seriously, enjoy your break :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] Wow, if thats your idea of fun, perhaps you can find me the XF86Config settings I need to get my 700MHz iBook2 to render X without all these crazy wavy lines. [/color]

Are you saying Jasmine is a little strange? I normally make what I do fun, Artiew, what can I say? :neener:

There is a job closer to home which wants to borrow me for 6 months (that is all they could afford on my salary). My manager touched base with Hubby (you know that we work in the same company) with his concern about losing me!! Somehow he does not want to talk to me directly. ::

By the way, no one is aware that I may retire in the near future, however, I leave my options open for Hubby still wants to work. As long as he works, the possibilities of I working is there. ::

Jasmine :devil:

I thought the commute was getting you down ?

Didnt we discuss the possibility of scaling your 'in-office' hours back to 3 days per week, then gradually easing into retirement ? If I'm going to be your Guidance Counsellor, Jas, I expect to see some effort on your part ::

Seriously, sooner or later your manager is going to have to learn to live without you. Life is too short, and your number one priority should be yourself and your family, not work.

I used to work as a pimp (Recruitment Consultant) in the IT sector.

During my last year in the industry (2001) I earned less than I did in my first as a trainee (1994).

there were a lot of factors that contributed to that including the colapse of the .com's, the lack of returns on 3G investment and 9/11.

However the outsourcing to India and eastern Europe played a major part in the demise of my career.

Pimps rely on local demand to earn their living. With all the work going abroad most of my ex colleagues have either "fucked it off" or are earning half what they used to.

I still keep in touch with old friends from the industry and hear about levels of pay.

Apparently IT contractors (irrespective of skill set) are earning around 50 to 75 % of what they did in the late nineties and 2000 in the UK.

I'm doing something else now and hope I never have to work in the recruitment industry again.

cheers

You made the right choice to get out SLH - when the industry boomed, every washed-up used car / real estate salesperson flocked to IT recruiting. Many of them had absolutely *no clue* what the buzzwords they were placing in ads actually meant, they treated their clients like shit, and this created a lack of confidence on the part of both applicants and employers. Even Real Estate agents have to pass an exam (I believe) : the recruitment industry needs something similar.

A leading restauranteur, eh SLH ? Ever noticed the similarity between certain French words - restauranteur, entrepreneur, poseur, wankeur ....

Sorry, mate, I couldnt resist. I doubt that you really are in hospitality - I'm thinking 'Claims Assessor' :neener:

I find the airs and graces of so many in hospitality hilarious - nothing like being able to augment a Grade 10 education with a few French terms for bread and coffee, put on an apron and ponce around on sidewalks like Lord Muck whilst earning wages comparable to a checkout chick at Woolies. Garcon indeed ....

[color:"red"]I thought the commute was getting you down [/color]

I forgot to tell in this forum, I am back to my home office now 55 minutes commute. Just left the last project on Aug. 1, I finally feel that I have some energy!! ::

Retirement is still set for January and the manager seems to sense it but Hubby wants to continue his work so I will just sepend his money. :devil:

Thanks pal, I am doing fine now but wait until winter comes, I dread it.

Cheers! ::

Jas,

Time to open the Florida office !

I know you dread Winter, but consider this : within a month or two, my part of the world will have 45 deg C days and nights over 30 deg C : worse than Thailand, although not so much humidity. As bad as that is (particularly in the car..), I'll still take it over a Northern Winter - brrrrrrr.

Enjoy the Fall while you have it - those colours must be sensational in your neck of the woods.

Archived