World Cup..Ban on Waltzing Matilda

Torneyboy

The wallabies answer to the NZ Haka will be outlawed at the Rugby World cup as organisers believe the song is not an important part of Australian culture :doah:

The Ireland based International Rugby Board rules only a countrys national anthem can be sung before World Cup games.

Exceptions can be made if deemed of cultural significance, but the IRB believes Waltzing Matilda....is .. um merely a song ::

So rugby crowds at the cup will be treated to the All Blacks haka,the South African ceremonial Zulu war dance and the traditional dances of Tonga,Samoa,and Fiji...but Waltzing Matilda.

NSW premier Bob Carr is today calling on WM be allowed.

If not i know the OZ crowd will sing up a storm anyway. ::

Says Uncle_Ivan:

By the same logic, Scotland, instead of singing Flower of Scotland, will have to sing God Save the Queen. I pity the man who tries to enforce that.

You would think Flower of Scotland was cultural..sounds like God saves the Queen is going to get a thrashing.

BTW has Scotland put in for an exemption?

We have..result not known yet .

Oh...and what happens when Scotland play England???

Play GSQ twice in a row...as they said each countrys Anthem before each Cup Game

Says Redbaron:

Waltzing Matilda, whilst a great part of our culture, IS merely a song.

The Birdy Dance however, that's a dance too!
:neener:

Just a song...well yes but sounds good when 80K sing along?

Guess Melbournites that wear Panama hats and follow Richmond have a different view of things :neener:

TB,

Anytime you want to take a late night stroll through Jo'burg or Capetown, let me know, and I'll be right behind you. Me, and 3RAR, as you will definitely need an infantry battalion to emerge from that experience intact.

Places like SA make you realise just how safe LOS really is, and its one of the more 'stable' African countries.

Says artiew:

TB,

Anytime you want to take a late night stroll through Jo'burg or Capetown, let me know, and I'll be right behind you. Me, and 3RAR, as you will definitely need an infantry battalion to emerge from that experience intact.

Places like SA make you realise just how safe LOS really is, and its one of the more 'stable' African countries.

Thanks .. Have heard some stories and a bit scary for me .

Will not walk around singing Waltzing Matilda either.

Archived