first trip, never be the same (the next day)

allatsea2000

We get up stretch and laugh like two errant schoolboys. We are in bangkok, wow, it seems like a dream, actually in thailand, im ecstatic(in think thats how u spell it). We panic a little as we are half an hour over schedule(big deal) We head down to the restaurant and find a fairly decent smorgasboard, so we both tuck in as if it is our last meal, seconds, and cant get enough of that juice. I figure out that this place will really make us dehydrated so plan on drinking as much other fluid as possible. We laugh and probably stair as we have breakfast. We both share the hey look at that guy over there with that girl, imagine what they got up too. We swap some thoughts on this, and admire how some of these really ugly bastards(cause we r really stunners ourselves, yeah right)and old can get a looker like that. Up until this stage we havent seen what bangkok had in the line up of lookers compared to average. We finish our breakfast, wondering what the others must of though of us. Both had at least two serves for breakfast, and i must have gone and got at least five orange juices, i know what a pig, but i was thirsty(being scared out of your wits, can really take it out of you)end up thinking fuck it, where on holiday we have paid for it and we are going to enjoy it.

We head back to the room before we head out. We now know this to be abb. (after breakfast bog)By now i am regretting the twin share thing, gotta to change this when we move on. (fuck saving money). That was a bit loose, i start to worry a little bit, because i have read about this happening, and this is the last place i want to have the shits.

Out we go, so this is what it looks like in the day light. What a shit tip, and the smell wow it smelt better back in the room(lol).

ON we go, we try to back track where we walked last night, and it doesnt seem scary at all, motor bike taxis still same place, but smiling at us this time. They motion towards there bike, and i guess they are offering us a ride. I motion with my fingers we go for walk, one of them slaps his legs and gives me the thumbs up and smiles, i smile back, and turn to my mate and say what the fuck where we scared about last night. Yes you guessed it he then spends the next minute trying to tell me he wasnt shitting himself( he"s such a hard arse).I wonder if it was the same group of men or some of them. I dismiss this as i didnt think they would remember us(soon to later find out in trips how good there memories are, especially the women).

We find our seven eleven which we figure out is just across the road from the hotel. Last night it seemed like miles away. we get a sinha and move on, I stop in my tracks and say shit the mini bar, we forgot to restock it from the night before. First lesson in bangkok. On we go with the attitude we are on holidays.

We head back to the hotel, and it is only at this time when we realises that the hotel interconnects with the MBk shopping centre. We decide to take a look. Wow i am in imazement, its huge, and from what i have seen im wondering how the hell did these people build this let alone afford to build it. It looks fantastic except for what looks like street stalls all over the place. Have a look at that, i get from my mate. My first taste of what i thought was a stunner. Hey there is another one over there, there is a group there , what the fuck they are everywhere. Now i know we have great looking girls back home, but it doesnt appear that we have as many as this, nearly everyone has something about them. It is now i realise i am alive, and i start to change my lifes thought process. I have worked two jobs for years, My last overseas trip or real holiday that i enjoyed as such was singapore and bali, in 1990. It was then i took up martial arts, and started training with a buddist monk to compliment my training. I was traditionally blessed by the elder, and looked after as if i was one of them. I only needed to do one thing for them, and that was if i ever went to thailand i had to go and visit them.

Well it took me over ten years. When ever i was in a position to go financially i couldnt go because i had a wife or girlfriend who though i was disgusting to want to go to thailand.

She didnt like it , so i couldnt go. Then when i was free, i couldnt get the time off, or couldnt afford it.

So the penny dropped standing around MBK, in thailand i could feel a change in myself. No i hadnt fallen in love with thailand (yet)in fact i thought bangkok was a dirty smelly place, i couldnt understand how this could be the hub of asia, but i started to think all this time pleasing someone else doing what they want to keep the peace, well stuff if it is my life and im going to live it, i didnt need anybody else just me, i am in control. This place is fantastic. I run into a stall that is selling fake after shave, shit this really does smell like kouras, but i decline, plenty of time for shoppingt later.

Its around lunch time, so we decide to have something to eat. The eatery in Mbk is quite good with a good variety, but we dont wwwant to eat fast food, and want a decent meal. What tha, what is safe, what will we like, what is value. I am now feeling uncomfortable in this place. Back hoem i can go and eat what i like when i like everything it safe, i no where to go, and when to do it. Fuck this place is different. I am now uncomfortable. We go past this place i think about five times, have a look at the menu. I cant remeber the name of it but it is a franchise i think and i notice they have one at the airport(no not kentucky). We go and look at the menu again. There is a couple right in front of us, and the guy says, this place is ok guys,its safe and cheap and the food is good. I look inside and see alot of thais eating there with kids and all. I remember a movie once where they said stay away from anywhere wwhere the locals dont eat, so i think this will be safe, and hopefully enjoyable. I thank the farang and his wife(i think) and move in and take a seat. I felt a little better now. We must have looked like a fish out of water and these two people must have related to that, and helped us out.

We ordered a couple of cokes, and i got a rice and chicken dish, I think the dish was 40baht, less than two bucks, it would have been about 8 or ten back home. I call the waitress over, as i see the couple asking for the checkbin(got that of the board)i know what that is. I ask her for there bill, she doesnt understand, i say check bin and point to the couple. She says yes, must pay, with a puzzled look(she must of thought he this ding dong thinks u get free food here) i smile and say yes cow jai, i want to pay checkbin and point to the couple. with that she smiles and laughs and says u want to pay. ok i get for u. The bill comes and it was by memory100 baht, less that five bucks for two meals and it looks like two cokes for them. The waitress wais me and off she goes. I look up and the waitress is telling the couple i had taken care of the bill no charge, falang he pay, and point to me. The couple nod to me and thank me, enough said.

The meal comes and it was great a little small so i order another one. Fantastic we have found a place to eat, i am now a bit more relaxed and full to say the least.

We head back to the hotel and r feeling sleepy, but i suggest we check out the hotel, the gym and the pool. After the tour, i remember our rum. I suggest wwe go get a couple of drinks and sit by the pool. We take it turns to go to the room and pour some drinks, and relax and look like real tourists. We discuss our night activities on the agenda, and then something attracts my attention. could it be two farang women, early twenties walk by with towels in hand. They sit at the next table, i like that(for some reason i think the thais are attractive, stunning even, but i dont seem to have a sexual attraction to them. dont worry this changes over the course of my trips). I have joked to everyone before my trip, that all u guys are paying all the attention too the thai women and the poor old farang misses out. so i tell everyone i am going to look after the farang women.

After a while we are chatting and a few drinks later we decide we should chat to them and see whats up. With that my mate deecides to get another drink, and leaves me in the deep end. Well i throw caution to the wind and strike up a conversation. By the time my mate comes back the two girls r sitting at our table. He has this stupid stunned look on his face as if to say i didnt think u would do it. I had already teed the girls up for a drink, so as soon as he got back i introduced him, and sent him back to get two more drinks.

We chatted until about fourish, and decided we might hook up tomorrow sometime(we wwanted to be free to see the sites tonight) With that we deecided we might head back to the room and maybe have a bit of a kip get up about seven, have a bite to eat and be out and about at about 9 at the latest. I didnt realise but shit i was tired, maybe the long hours at work or the flight, or the anticipation, i dont know but i knew i wanted to sleep. We had another drink put on the tele, planned the nights schedule, and i guess fell asleep

This is good stuff, chief :up:. Look forward to forthcoming episodes. It's a poignant and blessed feeling for jaded old sanukers like me ? a mixture of wistful deja vu and frissons of elation (he said, heading squarely for Pseuds Corner :doah:, but some people will know what I mean...) ? to read the impressions of first timers. Keep it up ::.

Which hotel did you stay in? I'd pinned it down as the Siam Square Novotel from your earlier description but A) the SS Novotel doesn't "interconnect" with MBK and B) there's no way you could swig your own booze (yup, I tried :() by the (aptly named) [color:"red"]SS[/color] :o Novotel pool without one of their unsmiling security honchos being on your tail like a bulldog on a pork chop ::. If it won't compromise your anonymity, please name the hotel you shook down at and give it a rating.

Cheers. Mine's a large one. ;)

jack :beer:

It is so long ago since I was a newbie it is fascinating to read that you were 'scared' on your first night and that u are into day three without having a woman in the room.

Two hours after I leave the airport I am lying underneath a naked girl..........couldn't wait any longer....

Looking forward to the next instalment of your very open, honest reports.

Uniformguy

thanks for the encouragement, It seems like yesterday in my mind our first trip, i am getting a laugh out of what transpired as if i can still hear the conversations. The hotel we stayed at on our first trip was the pathumwan princess. Im not sure on the mini bar policy but somehow we managed to get beers, and coke in no problems The hotel was nice, probably 8 out of ten for ambiance, food was ok, MBK next door, But would not stay there again, i though two expensive for what u can get in Bangkok. I have since stayeed at the Manhattan, the Bel air princess, and the woruburi inn, and too b honest i would rather stay at these places. manhattan is the pick for me. good value and guest friendly

Archived