Travel from Nong Kai to Ubon Ratchetani

phoenix

Hi,

I'm looking at ways to get two people from Nong Kai to Ubon Ratchetani, in the easiest way possible, without flying, and while keeping cost reasoable.

Options: Shuttle to Udon Thani Airport, rent a Budget car, drive to UR, drop car off at airport. One day car rental about 1800Bt, plus 2500 one way cost (e.g. dropping car off at other than departure point). Total about 4500 Bt

Two day car rental would be about 6500Bt, allowing us to stop somewhere on the way, and drive leisurely. Still cheaper than flying via BKK . I'd probably follow the river, stay the night at Nakon Panom.

Budget was the only one I could find with pickup and dropoffs between these two cities

Any other car rental firms that would let me do this one way trip?

Buses: What would be the best bus connection, changing where? I know I could do NK-Udon-KHon Kaen in one go, then Khon Kaen-UbonR, but could I do it in one day?

I don't mind taking two days driving, but if busing, I'd like it as simple and direct as poss.

If I'd have to take two days I'd take as different bus route

Can i get a bus that takes me without transfer from NK to Nakon Panom, then the next day another one direct from NP to UbonR? I've taken the bus from NP to BKK before, but can't rememebr if there was a direct one from there to Ubon. I know this is a longer way than via Khon Kaen, but I've driven the Main drag fro Nong Khai to BKK now so often I get bored, and would like to see the other side of Issaarn again.

Any suggestions?

usually, there are buses for all cross-Issan destinations, so I believe you can board in NK and end up in Ubon. I would think it's around 10 hours. Cheaper of course than anything, less than 500 air-con.

In case you are interested, car rentals are 1400 a day, 1200 for a jeep. The car rental is on the main drag, Chayangkul. I can give more infos, if that was your intention in Ubon, which is a great place but kind of stretched out, though easy to get familiar to with wheels. Lost of friendly cozy places to eat at. Where will you stay in Ubon?

Yes, Pattaya is (as usual), right on the money.

Last time I was in Nong Khai, I caught the bus from there to Kohn Kaen. Can't remember seeing a bus direct to Ubon R., but DEFINITELY direct from Udon Thani. So if worst comes to worst, can get a bus from Nong Khai to Udon, (not far), and then direct bus from Udon Thai to Ubon Ratchathani. Should be about 500B for the nicest bus - aircon VIP.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Fly P. :beer:

>The car rental is on the main drag, Chayangkul<

Chayankul, is that in NongKai? I can't find it on my LP map of NK, but, then again, it doesn't name the main road.

We'll be on our way from Vientiane to Pakse, part visa run (renewing Lao visa) part using betetr Thai roads instead of the R13 in Lao, and a short respite from long stretch in Lao.

I've been to Ubon a couple of times, but that was a few years ago, on my way to Pakse. Quite liked it.

> Lost of friendly cozy places to eat at.<

Any suggestions welcome, we're on a culinary mission, and I love real issaan food, not the stuff in tourist restaurants.

>Where will you stay in Ubon? <

I've stayed once at sri Kamol, not really all that great, and once at Tohsang Hotel, bit better, nice restaurant with live music (Three female singers, really enjoyed them.)

But it is rather far out of the centre. Any recommendations welcome!

No, Chaiyongkul is in UBON.

I wish i could tell you the names of the restaurants, but I never took the pain to really remember them. If you have 1000baht (Bfast incl.)to spend on an hotel, do stay at the GRAND NEVADA, absolutely great for the money, off chaiyangkul too. Disco always busy by the side of the building (red label 650 bahts). Next to it, Nevada Inn at 550/750 is OK too, but for a few hundred bahts more, the Grand can't be beaten (open pool too on the 2nd floor).

As I indicated in another thread, a lot of my books and brochures are in boxes, but if i find my UBON map, i will come back to post more. When are you going again?

• 2 months later...

Pity.

I suppose Ill have to do y own research then. Sometimes, totally respectable hotels can unexpectedly offer very nice surprises when youlie down for a trad. Thai massage. I remember one in Pitsanulok.........

Oh, well, lets not go there now.

Off back to Issaan

Archived