LOS musings

mogul

well, just returned from my 1 week trip to thailand. spent time with gf's family upcountry, then headed to krung thep for a day and a half before flying back home.

thought i'd relate a couple of "face-saving" experiences:

we're in bangkok, gf and i want to go to mbk. i hail a cab. before entering, gf tells driver we want to go to mbk, he says ok, we get in and off we go. no more than 45 seconds into the ride, dude tells gf, "i have to take cab back to station in 10 minutes". he drops us off about 100 yards from where he picked us up :banghead:.

went to gf town's telephone company to settle a bill and to get information about internet access. after the bill is paid, (gf's brother took care of it, not me) i tell him i need to access my email at work. i ask about loxinfo. dude says he can help, that i can connect for free, no need loxinfo. says he can configure it for me. i can configure it myself i say, and he says no big deal he can do it for me. gf wants me to let dude help, so i let him at it. well, first off, he cant open the notebook. after fumbling around for a few minutes, i decide to do it myself, before the fool breaks the dang thing. ok, it's open and he again is fumbling around looking for the power switch. now im thinking, oh oh, this aint' a good sign. i power it on, and after booting, dude sheepishly says something about xp. he then calls his buddy to come over and check it out. i tell gf to tell dude i can configure it, just give me user name, password, and access number. no, she says, let him do it ("just let him finish it and you can do it yourself later"). ok. well now, both dudes are having a tough time getting connected. i politely suggest attaching the phone line might help. laughs abound from the two stooges, gf, and brother--but not from me. i just smile, just smile like a fool in love. well, after about 30 minutes, they triumphantly declare functionality. i, myself, am highly skeptical. i ask them to show me how to connect. moment of truth. it connects, but it is firewalled such that the only site i can access is their home page, which is entirely in thai. they said if i want to connect to my email from my work site, i'd have to "go computa sto. buy loxinfo". :banghead:

ok, so we "go computa sto". i ask about loxinfo, girl (quite a looker :hubba:) explains the various plans. between her poor english and my distraction, i blindly say ok to a 30 hour plan. wtf, 30 hours, is too much for checking email. fortunately, it's good for a year after first login. gf, meanwhile, is asking tech dude if he can set it up for me. i tell gf i can do it, but dude has already commited himself by clearing his desk of work already in progress, so i give in. well, this guy gets it up and running as fast as i could have done it. i'm impressed. i kop khun khrap him and off we go. upon reaching home, i power up. i look for a shortcut for loxinfo on desktop. none. i look at connections and don't see loxinfo. hmmm.....wtf. it worked at computa sto. turns out he merely inserted a new access number, user name, and password in my dialup connection of my ips at home :cussing:.

i guess this is why we love thailand too mutt ::

Hi Mogul,

Classic tales of misadventure. I got a big kick out of it. Once again Thai logic comes into play.

My favorite computer story is my friend in BKK hired a girl with a computer science degree to work in his office and she didn't know how to hook up a printer.

LL

Am I missing something here ( loxinfo config)

all I have ever had to do ( when using loxinfo time ) is put in the user name and password ( and phone ## for whatever city in thailand I am in at the time)

have they come up with a more complicated way lately?

:banghead:

dude, that's what my post was about--the rigamarole trying to get internet access, when all it took was to "put in username and...". but the good thai people either 1) had no clue (phone company guys) or 2) just took the easy way out (guy at computa sto).

I see: big deal over nothing:

I would be very worried to let a thai computer "geek" (( or wannabee geek)) work on my computer.

a while back my daughter had problems with her imac ( could not access internet), took it to computer shop in pahthip, was quoted (after they tinkered with it for a long time) 4000 bht to repair it.

I told her to wait for me to look at it>

turned out to be bad modem to phone cable. 60 bht for a good replacment.

Says mogul:

:banghead:

dude, that's what my post was about--the rigamarole trying to get internet access, when all it took was to "put in username and...". but the good thai people either 1) had no clue (phone company guys) or 2) just took the easy way out (guy at computa sto).

A tough crowd to get a bit of laugh, huh :grinyes:

funny story .... probably not at the time of the incident but now looking back at the memory ... priceless :applause:

funny story .... probably not at the time of the incident but now looking back at the memory ... priceless

actually, i was rather amused, knowing TIT. like i said, i just continued to smile like a fool in love...and that pooying at computa sto made me smile, smile like a fool in lust :hubba:

Archived