How Big is My HD - I'm Getting Confusing Info

BritTim

I am not completely sure I know what is happening here, but this is my best guess. The size given by My Computer (i.e. total 12GB) is almost certainly correct. (Note: is the free space for each drive more than 2GB?) Why is the Drive Space utility telling you the total size of each is only 2GB? I think it is because it is asking the BIOS to tell it the size. On older computers, it is common for the BIOS to return duff data on harddrive size for large drives. The operating system knows enough to ignore it, but some utilities are less intelligent.

You can get the info off the disk itself if you can be bothered to open the case and take it out. Also try running chkdsk in DOS on each partition to determine the size.

Tim is right about the BIOS also some older ones don't see anymore than 8GB. How old is the machine?

Windows 98 first edition could only do a fat16 formatting. so basically partition can be no larger than 2G.

Window 98 second edition and later systems adopted FAT32 which was able to format larger hard drives..

So if you have Win98 first edition or sometimes called WIN98a then 2G is the most it can handle without an upgrade.

It sounds to me that this is most reasonable, a 12gb disk upgrade and there is 2gb free in each partition. This computer is several years old, don't know exactly. But I'm guessing now it is pre-FAT32. It's at my gf's house and I'm not there now, so I will check the exact version of Win98 later.

If so, does this mean that when 2gb is filled on the disk I will start getting "disk full" messages?

And why would My Computer see the whole drive?

GG

Go under run and type in "winver" and that will tell you the version of windows you are running..

To be able to partition it so that you can get the entire 12G on one disk I would upgrade to windows 98SE.. I would not go Windows XP or ME since it probably would not be able to handle it.

Sorry I dont know of any other way to do it, but that is not to say that there is no other way

Archived