Box milk babies

check_bin_krap

I guess this might belong in babycenter forum or whatever, but it has an Asian link anyway.

My 2 1/2 month old Viet/foreign son is partly breastfeeding, partly getting box milk. I am concerned that he is getting too much of the box milk thing, and his weight also indicates this. My fiancee gets the advice from nurse (surprise, the one who sells her the expensive box milk) that its not a problem. And that he will grow out of this as all babies do. Her uncle who is a doc says the same.

That might be true if he went on the veggie food my fiancee eats, but he will come to my country and is likely to pick up western food habits. Whats worrying also is the appetite of my family, many fatsos there so the genes is bad news. My bro is a mountain and I just learned that he was fed on box milk as my mum got sick.

I have expressed my view to my fiancee, and hope it is followed. After all 7 kilos for a 2 1/2 months old kid is a lot.

And views or advices? It can be a touchy subject with mums also as they like to pamper their kids, and I have tried to consider this and not be too harsh.

Cheers!

PS: Oops. Had to correct typo on age, he is 2 1/2 month old.

Hi CBK,

our baby had breast milk for about 2 months, than mum got "fed up" and realised that boxed milk was a good alternative, and eversince she has been fed on boxed milk and more recently on a more wider array of food samples.

Jowever, our toddler is now 7 1/2 months and maybe weighs just about 8 kg's, so your son is very big IMHO.

I'm not sure what to do there. One thing can be to give more often water rather than milk, maybe make the mix thinner as well?

Guest lazyphil

My mrs breast fed till about 1 year with some powder milk too. Even now she has milk before bedtime (2 years old Oct 3!) but just warmed up full cream cows milk. I wouldn't worry, powdered milk has all the goodness needed but I think breast helps immunity, but I'm not sure 100% on this.

I would not be too concerned at this age. Infants all have different metabolisms and some grow in spurts, then gain weight and do it again. So as long as you are getting regular checkups, should be no problems in the long run.

It's impossible to micro mange the growth of an infant. So relax dad, get some pictures of him as a 'chubby' that you can embarass him with 15 years later when he is growing into a handsome man like you. OK, maybe more handsome.

NTW (not to worry) his asian genes will insure he doesn't lean to the large side unless you allow him to spend his childhood as non-active, sugar addicted, MacD affectionado. And we all know you won't do that. :applause::beer:

Archived