Found on other board

phoenix

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, by copying a post from another board, but I think it may be of interest to others here, especially those living in the SF area.

Found on the Thai Falang Board:

(Photo deleted to comply with our own boardrules)

"See: http://www.absolutearts.com/artsnews/2003/09/03/31335.html (See also: www.sfmoma.org)

(Excerpted) Thursday, September 04, 2003 - Sunday, December 07, 2003

The Photographs of Reagan Louie presents an artist?s candid and complex study of the contemporary Asian sex industry. With subjects ranging from Thai sex emporiums to Japanese image clubs to Taiwanese betel nut stands, Louie?s pictures explore this thriving trade and the fantasies it nourishes. More than 70 color photographs by Louie are accompanied by a context show of 50 related images selected by the artist from the SFMOMA collection.

From Hono: Louie is a photogrphy professor in a SF college and he visited a dozen countries (incl. Thailand) over 6 yrs photodocumenting the sex trade. His photos focus on the day to day lives of the women. He also has a book out: Orientalia, Sex in Asia. (I've not seen either the book nor the MOMA exhibit.)"

End copy of post.

I have been doing a bit of phographic documenting of Thai sexworkes myself over the past few years, although I think probably other aspects of them. Long live digital photography!

PS Hono used to be member of the old Nanaplaza board, until he got married and moved back home. Now he's running a board that serves the interests of Falang men married to Thai partners. I find it useful sometimes to get points of view, and also like the positive aspects it shows of some of those relationships.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a chance to check this exhibit out this past week during a free first Tuesday of the month, partly because I'm a cheap barstard but mostly because I just happened to be there.

This is notable because it meant it was crowded and, not having much time, wasn't able to ogle the images. Also, it wasn't an open-minded art crowd per se but more of an unemployed middle-of-the-day PC crowd on a cheap date. Thus I overheard comments such as "they're pubescent" or "so submissive" though neither was correct. In fact, the experience caused a deja vu flashback to many years ago sneaking talent into a KSR guesthouse with paper thin walls.

I did not particularly care for the exhibition. It seems to reinforce stereotypes and does not dispel any myths. The photographer, an Asian American, has a book of the images titled "Orientallia" to give you some idea of his slant. He never travels outside of the fishbowl to provide proof that his subjects are engaged in a means to an end rather than an end unto itself. Actually, pictures belonging to the museum and shown for background offered more context. All in all, I actually had more fun scrolling through the Poseidon website for this kind of thing.

After posting, what is really funny is it wasn't a free Tuesday after all, that is upcoming. I was lunching downtown with a photographer friend who had heard about it and knowing of my weaknesses suggested we go and we marched right in. Geez, I definetely am a cheap barstard, it was an art crowd and it should be packed to the rafters in a couple of days.

it was an art crowd and it should be packed to the rafters in a couple of days.

----------------------

Anyone going there, expect to see this crowd to be intensely listening, grouped around a loquacious gentleman with a french accent explaining precisely what are the cultural and economic contexts behind the photos.... ::

The photographer, an Asian American, has a book of the images titled "Orientallia" to give you some idea of his slant.

According to the article: "Reagan Louie, a Chinese American photographer living in the Bay Area, spent six years exploring the Asian sex trade."

Exploring? Taking pictures of the girls? He does the same thing we do, so he has the same slant we do. Why else give a stupid name like that to the book. So the PC crowd will be financing his explorations, wonder if he is laughing.

Archived