Very fast internet in BK near Sukhumvit?

Encore

Hi,

I'm in BKK next week, and am looking for an internet cafe where they have very fast and reliable net connection, as well as the ability to write a CD.

I'm expecting an 80Mb file from my homecountry, which I'll need for a local printing job. Anyone got any suggestions?

Downloading 80MB will not be that reliable in Bangkok. At least I've tried something similar at Times Square internet cafes before and each time their connection bombed out and the server didn't support "regets"

So I'd recommend this file is somewhere where a reget tool like getright on the PC can get at it in pieces in case there's a problem with the connection as their so often is at "The Email Place" at Times Square. And forget that places with the view over Sukhumvit since their connection is usually quite slow.

80MB is not that big a file, so you should be able to get it all right. As already suggested, use of a download manager will improve your chances. Most of the Internet cafes use second rate (or third rate) ISPs. As a result, it is hit or miss. On a good day, you can get fast downloads. On other days, it is so bad that you cannot even efficiently do your email. In the Times Square building, there is one small Internet cafe (behind the one that touts their 2MbPS leased line) that is ADSL through CS-Loxinfo. They are a bit pricey, but should usually be reliable. At other places, you can improve your chances by using off peak hours.

Note: if you do not want to hang around and do the download yourself, for a fee, some of the Internet cafes will download a file and put it on CD for you (if the file is somewhere public or hosted somewhere that you are willing to release the password for).

The DHL/Fedex suggestion sounds the best to me, but if you must download then you have to find a broadband connection - sorry I don't know of any reliable ones.

I say that as this weekend I had to reinstall Win XP on my home computer. I went to Windows Update and had to download almost 40 Mbs of updates, fixes, patches and security stuff. It took just over 3 hours.

So 80 Mbs ......

As they say, dont try this at home.

Archived