Guest Friendly - Patong Beach Phuket

DB

Hi Guys,

Around this time last year this forum was fantastically helpful in planning my first venture to Pattaya, this time it's Phuket,

Can anyone give me some guidance on Guest Friendly hotels in or close to Patong Beach Phuket?

I have tried a search but didn't come up with much.

Ideally something mid-market, of similar standard to say the Majestic Suites in BKK - if nothing like this then I'll go downmarket - more like Dynasty standard - this trip is an extra vacation squeezed in so $$$ have to be watched a little.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave.

Hi DB,

Been to Phuket and Patong a few times now and here is my run down on the various hotels I've stayed in:

1. Burasari - Excellent hotel, NOT guest friendly. I would only recommend this hotel if you hooked up with someone and booked them in with you.

2. Amari Coral Beach - Top class hotel, bit out of the way. The best breakfast both in location and quality I've ever had. NOT guest friendly but the same applies as for 1.

3. The Residence - Kalim Bay. Two bedroom serviced apartments. 100 baht TUK TUK ride into / back from town (it costs 100 baht to go anywhere though due to the tuk tuk monopoly / rip off). My brother and I ended up here and paid 1500 baht per night - good value at that price. Guest friendly.

4. The Thara Patong. Excellent hotel, great breakfast, all type of rooms and price ranges. I stayed there when they had a 3 for 2 deal in the best rooms in the new wing. Cost: about 4500 for three nights. Very guest friendly! But have heard reports on another board that this will change at start of November and they will charge a 1000 baht joiner fee. That will be a pity as it prices it out for me but an excellent hotel if not.

5. The Safari. Didn't stay there but looked at the rooms. Pretty good for around 1100 baht per night. Great location and guest friendly - I asked.

6. Then you have the Expat / San Sabaai bunglaows / K hotel etc all at the top end of Bangla road (away from the sea). I took a look at all these places and well - you get what you pay for. Very guest friendly!!

Take a look at www.latestays.com for all the best deals going on at Patong Hotels. This is a good site and although I've never booked through them I have used their quoted prices as my starting point for negotiations.

A lot of the hotels in Patong charge between 500 and 1000 baht joiner fees for unregistered overnight guests. Always check this when booking. It won't matter if you book a double room etc - the charge still applies.

I would suggest that you book one night in the Thara Patong or the Safari (easily found via a google search) then take a look at the others on my list and make a move if you can be bothered. Location wise The K-hotel and the Safari are hard to beat for Bangla Road. The Safari is better for the beach but it's a 15 minute walk or 100 baht tuk tuk to get anywhere.

Patong is superb, but not Bangkok. Very touristy as well as us sex tourists. The diving / football on the beach / lying on the beach / swimming etc is great but I imagine any more than 10 days is too much at a time (IMHO).

Hope you enjoy it and that this gets your searches started.

Cheers,

Lisbonboy

Guest lazyphil
Boomerang Inn is a guest friendly and chilled out place to stay not too far from Bangla Road. If your lucky the Aussie bosses two Luuk Krung 20 something daughters might be holidaying from Oz :hubba: like they were when I stayed here....they might challenge you to a game of badmington on the road outside, they're good so beware!!!

I have been staying at the Neptuna

http://www.phuket.com/neptuna/

for several years now when in phuket:

very nice place for the price:

was there last aug for 6 days, they have some construction going on in the front area ( a bit of a hazard comming back late at nite in "wobbly" condition)

only real complaint I had was they charged for phone time ( I access internet from my room) not much of a fee, but the time before there was not phone time fee.

they have a new owner now ( French owner before, not a chinese owner) the staff ( ppl I talked to) said he was not good to work for, many workers have quit, lowered the wages, longer hours and so on.

But, still my choice of place to stay. not too fancy, but nice location, good rooms, no hassell.

Hi All,

Sorry it's taken a while to say thank you - been busy as hell at work.

I haven't decided which place yet but there are a number of strong contenders from the info you have provided me with once again a belated thank you all.

Cheers

Dave

Archived