For serious geeks only - Mac on Linux

gobbledonk

Says artiew:

...was grimly determined to master the Win32 API when the time came. I believe that you can still write Win32 code for XP - its not what Microsoft want, but they couldnt completely turn their backs on the people...

I hope you meant "Win16" otherwise your post makes no sense at all.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - 16-bits for release prior to 95 then 32-bit for everything since : my point is that Microsoft was able to rely on the hearts and minds of DOS programmers with each successive product release. The point has already been made that it was still mostly DOS under the hood right up to XP, regardless of the hooha which accompanied the release of Windows 95 and its 32-bit brethren (OK, on the consumer front ...).

I think this famous quote sums up the Windoze 32-bit product line :

Windows 95: n. a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit hack to an 8 bit operating system, originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Windows 98: n. see Windows 95

Windows ME: n. see Windows 95

Windows 2000: n. an attempt by a 2 bit company to put forth a stable version of a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit hack to an 8 bit operating system, originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor.

Sorry Microshaft is not a "major" investor in Apple. It was a small amount of money I think 150 mil. And belive me that is nothing compared to Apples value. It was mostly a stratagy by Steve Jobs to end the advisarial stance many Apple users had toward Microshaft. Also it allowed apple to use Microshaft to make available some software titles.

Hi!

Actually that is not entirely correct. The old Window 3.11 could run 32 bit code called Win32S. This was very similar to the Win32 code but not completely comatible.

Also Windows95 was not completely 32 bit code. The graphics engine (gdi) was ported from the old Windows 3.x and ran in 16 bit mode. As this mode didn't allow for multi tasking the graphics interfac was locked with a mutex when a process needed to update it. If a process crashed without releasing the mutex the screen would freeze and the only solution was the old "three finger salute". :grinyes: A rather well known situation for most users of Windows95.

For a short period I worked with Windows95 communicating with a embedded real time system (fast). I guarantee that I could reboot my PC in sleep.

MS business slogan:

Today's OS based on yesterdays technology ready to ship next year.

MS's definition of multi tasking:

The abillity to crash more than one process simultaneously.

:neener::grinyes:

regards

ALHOLK

Archived