Interest rates for savings

dddave

My GF of almost two years has suprised me with her thrift. She saves most of what I send her doing various jobs around the moo ban for B100/day to cover expenses. She has acumulated over B100,000 in her savings account but as far as I can understand, it acrues little, if any interest.

I have little knowledge of investing, especially in Thailand and would never advise her to do so, but are there any long term savings plans available there that at least provide some return and are relativly safe such as CD's?.

Don't know your risk profile but assuming your risk averse maybe you may want to keep the bulk of the baht in a savings account or CD offering 1%.

Assuming that you like moderate risk I would place about 25% of the money in a Thai equity mutual fund and maybe the balance in a bond fund.

I intially bought the SET index fund offered by SCB but not feeling to comfortable on the fast move of the SET I sold the index fund and put the money in the AJF Star Capital fund which an actively managed fund offered by AJF(pretty much mirrors the SET). They also offer a bunch of fixed income funds which offer better returns than bank deposits.

BTW- if you don't know much about investing I suggest that you buy a couple of the "RICH DAD POOR DAD" or "DUMMIES" series, to get a basic understanding of financial instruments in simple language.

Good luck

http://www.ajffunds.com/eng/index.htm

Archived