Pattaya Biz Club?!?

bangkokbutcher

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me a cynic, but I often wonder what people get out of forming these 'clubs'/associations etc. I for one would not do it unless I felt I was going to get something back for all the hard work/effort that you have to put into it. I have been to a couple of the Pattaya expat breakfasts and the impression I came away with is that something does not quite add up. :dunno:

Why would someone go to all this effort unless they had an alternative motive in place. Somehow reminds me of the people who are shown in the Pattaya Mail as prominent farang local businessman with big cheques for various charities and then scraping a little further invariably discover through hearsay same characters either owning or being involved in grey market businesses. Nothing too wrng with that but just strikes me as a strange practice and some kind of way to gain forgiveness for the sins they do all the rest of the time.

I saw an interesting article a while back where some senior Thai guy was remarking exactly the same thing - superficially, these farang are the pillars of society but underneath they are just a bunch of crooks. His view is that these are the one's the Thai Govt wants to crack down on :applause:

Cheers

Hi;

As someone that has a company in Bangkok, I decided it was worth checking out, so I decided to visit each of the three pattaya meetings at the first of this month (September).

The first was the biz club that meets in Jomtien on the first Thursday of the month, so I went down from Bangkok on a Thursday, but the meeting was cancelled because the two principles were out of the country. I DID get an email responce notifying me of this, however, the day before he scheduled meeting, as well as some background.

There was, at one time, one rather well established expat club in Pattaya. there was a bit of a revolution, and a number of people split off and formed a second club. The biz club is a sub group of the newer expat club (both expat clubs being pretty open, many retirees, visitors, etc.)

The newer group meets at the green tree restaurant on Saturdays for brunch (I think around 75 baht) and the older, larger group meets on Sundays at Henry J bean's at the Amari just before soi 0 on beach Rd.for brunch (65 baht?). They have speakers, more or less aimed to residents, and an open forum for anyone that wants to ask questions. Think of clubs for the residents that are open to all (and several couples were there as well). The newer group when I was there featured a video interview with the head of Pattaya immigration on doing business there (visa's), and the older group had an Aussie property developer (in Jomtien now) talking about his travails as a famous sportscaster before coming to Thailand (Rob Conway??), and a swapping of "war" stories about prostrate cancer and related problems.

There was no effort to make anyone pay a membership fee at either place, and the only fee was for the food. All were offered a chance to ask questions of the assembled expats. Several charitable causes were promoted however, soft sell.

Worth a visit, the only cost is for the breakfast, and a good way to meet some residents.

2knight1

"and some kind of way to gain forgiveness for the sins they do all the rest of the time."

Forgiveness is certainly not the motive, con men do not have a concience therefore don't need forgiveness. The real motive is to raise their profile and create a air of respectability and good character. Both of these attributes are essential in their chosen line of work, that is relieving the gullible of their assets and sometimes their confidence and their future.

BTW well done Wowser, quick research, I'm impressed. ;)

Very interesting... as always at least 2 sides to any story.

Pete sent this back about 3 hours after I emailed him.

The delay in getting it here is mine (and Jiggers as I hit the down for service time)

Dear Frank - thanks so much for passing on the information. It's amazing how much information can be picked up on the internet. I would say that the posting pretty accurately describes the Trustees accusations, but, of course it tells only half of the story and completely ignores the conclusion.

1. The British Distributor started the lawsuit essentially to take over the profitable distribution business. They spent over $1,000,000 with the largest law firm in Richmond, VA to force us into bankruptcy, and they eventually succeeded.

2. The Trustees investigation was basically a joint effort between himself and this same law firm that spent all of the British company's money. Instead of calling in an independent auditor to go over the books, they used the same one used by the law firm. They wanted something to show for the $1,000,000 fees. As a sidebar, the judge in the initial proceedings and motions with this huge law firm, retired half way through the case and, guess what? Got a job at the same law firm! Business as usual in these United States.

3. So how did it all end? The British Company took over the Distribution effort as planned and made a dismal failure of it. The parent company in England took a terrific hit and the Chairman and CFO lost their jobs.

4. The Trustee was not yet finished with me however. After agreeing to settle the civil case (I did this to get on with my life, not because I had done anything which was in anyway dishonest or unethical. Just imagine in your own business lives what $1,000,000 could do to you in the hands of rapacious attorneys), the Trustee and the large law firm had one more ace up their sleeves.

5. After the settlement, the Trustee persuaded the FBI to initiate a criminal investigation! Again the same wild accusations were brought up (transporting sunbeds across State lines in violation of the RICO statutes was the most outrageous). And in case some of you are not familiar with these statutes these are the laws used to control the Mafia and other Racketeering organizations.

6. The end result? After trying their level best the FBI decided to not press charges. All of the accusations in both the civil and criminal cases were completely unfounded. To save face for the DA, I had to agree to a single charge of contempt of court and was given 100 hours of Community Service. Again, I agreed so that I could get on with my life.

7. The Trustee still did not give up. He kept going after Giller and Company until eventually the whole thing was thrown out of Court. There was no merit in any of the cases either civil or criminal. What happened to the Trustee? I believe all of the proceeds from the bankruptcy case were eaten up in attorney fees. I know of no creditors that received any compensation. The British Company recently sold the Distribution rights for a song to one of their ex Distributors in the USA who they had previously fired.

8. My friend and partner in all of this was able to keep his head above water in all of this because, not being a US citizen, his name was on none of the Company books. He is now part owner of the successor to my original Distribution Company, and it is more successful than ever. I work for them part time as a Consultant.

Thanks for the opportunity to tell the rest of the story - Pete

[color:"blue"]Well he's not ducking and dodging, but I have lots of other questions for him that he has promised to answer and allow to be posted. So anyone want to continue to get him in the hot seat, feel free to jump in. [/color]

That guy?s full of it.

A quick check shows that that in each of his 8 points there is either a half truth or an outright lie.

I am not going to list anything as it just gives him the chance to respond with even more misleading BS to promote himself/his business opportunity which I am convinced is a scumbag selling a scam.

Let?s hope no one falls for it and loses his money.

Archived