Blood

Jun seemed really nice. She had a sweet broad smile and a pretty face. She was all politeness and "Sawatdiii ka ka ka". She didn't push for drinks. She listened to every stupid story I told and laughed in all the right places. I fell for that sweetness straight away like the typical dope who never stepped into a bar before in his life.

I went back night after night for an hour or two. Just to talk about her life and mine. She had two kids in Chiang Mai which she didn't see. She never dropped calling me Khun Turk. And her sweet nature never seemed to dip. Jun was the kind of girl who is the most dangerous game in town.

When I walked into the bar she never seemed to be with another man. It was as if she was waiting for me. She'd order a beer for me knowing that Khun Turk always ordered the same drink. And one day while sitting in a corner and gazing into her eyes I leaned forward and kissed her.

I guess I was taken in by her manner so completely that, even in this bar with its upstairs short time rooms, I was surprised that she kissed me back. I was surprised that a girl like Jun might even be up for it. Then she pulled back. Lay her head on my shoulder and silently wept. I knew this because the tears were seeping into my new shirt.

"What ?" I said. "What is it ?"

"You not know." She said her eyes all shiny with Hollywood tears.

"Know what ?"

"Jun love Khun Turk." I didn't react quickly enough. "Sorry. Sorry. Jun sorry. I make Khun Turk think too much. Sorry."

All right. I know what you're all saying to yourselves. What a load of fake mush. But the thing was I was the worse for drink and my sense of reality was well out of kilter. Her act was as thin as a cream cracker but then again maybe she just was this beautiful simple child woman. Instead of running away screaming like a girl, which is what I should have done, I kissed her again and again. This was my answer. I loved her too. Okay. I'd only known her for a few days but that didn't mean I wasn't completely besotted. In my defence I was fairly drunk but then the prosecution would be able to chime in and point out that I'm nearly always fairly drunk. Even drunk I should have been more careful. Jun, on the other hand, was not drunk. She was living in the land of orange Fanta.

Soon we adjourned to the seats in the deepest darkest corner of the bar and we kissed for what seemed like ages. Every so often Jun would pull away and say something intended to make me think better of her like "No. Khun Turk. Nong Jun no good for you. Khun Turk good man." Such statements would be follow by short periods of weeping in which I would console her and say she was very good. All the stupid shit things I thought I was supposed to say. Then, after an hour or two of this, she pulled away from me and ran away crying. One of the barmaids came and told me with incredible gravity that Jun wanted me to forgive her and come back another time. "Why ?" I said. The barmaid pointed to her head a couple of times in the "Because she's fucking mental you twat" manner.

I dutifully left. Oddly. As soon as I was out the bar I forgot all about Jun and was able to enjoy trailing around a series of other bars falling for the charms of a whole series of other women.

The next time I went back to Jun's bar she didn't come to see me. She sat lurking in a dark corner of the bar. If I looked over to where she was she looked away. I thought "Fuck this for a bowl of bananas" and started drinking more quickly thinking that this was getting stupid. One of the barmaids said "She angry you. Someone tell her they see you with other woman."

I looked back at her again. She snuck a glance at me and she had this hurt child look. As with every act from Jun it was slightly over the top so I paid for my beer and left.

I avoided the place for a few days but got snagged in the street by another girl in the bar. "Jun really miss you. She sorry she make bad to you. Please come and see her."

Like a putz I went back in. Jun came and threw her arms around me. "I sorry Khun Turk. Nong Jun love you" etc. Soon I found myself paying the extortionate barfine and taking her back to my room.

I took a shower first and then Jun. Jun came out of the shower wrapped, alluringly in my blue towel like some giftwrapped Christmas present come early. But on her face was an expression of abject misery. She started crying again. "I no good for you Khun Turk. I dirty."

"Don't worry about it. I'm no good for you either."

"Have men come already. I know it come but I let you pay bar because I not want you leave me again."

Suddenly the penny dropped. "You have men. How convenient. Don't worry. I'm not Thai. I'm a farang. I'm not scared of a little blood."

"But is dirty."

"If you don't want to make love with me that's cool. Don't think about it again. It doesn't matter. But I don't care if you have men. It doesn't mean shit to me."

"Cing cing ?"

"Yeah. Cing cing."

She smiled. And, of course, when she smiled, I realised that she wasn't bluffing. She really did have her period. Well. I'll be honest. It's never stopped me before unless the woman had a problem so it wasn't going to stop me now.

She turned the lights out and came to bed. We lay there kissing and kissing and the smell of the blood was reaching me. Call me a filthy disgusting pervert but I have always found the smell of menstrual blood a bit of a turn on anyway. It has that primal ozone thing to it. Like the seafood stalls in Khlong Toey market. Her kisses were sweet and her body was soft. She was so sweet to hold. She was good enough to eat. So, in the dark, I let that bloody stench draw me like bisto to a bisto kid. And soon my jaw was in her bloody cunt. She kept saying my name over and over as I ate her. I drank the come and blood from her like some filthy vampire and fed and fed on her juddering body. At first she had been trying to push me away from her filth as if to allow me to taste her might be harmful to me but she soon changed into this voracious animal holding my head in her crotch with her hand as I lashed at her with softened tongue. Her smooth thighs were soon around my ears and I could hear nothing as though I was submerged underwater. Her body shook and shook until there was this tangible release of energy. I knew that as soon as she came her cunt would be as tender as an open wound so I pulled away as she twitched like a fresh corpse. Then she pulled me up. Made me fuck her. To be honest I didn't even want to fuck her. I didn't want to come inside her. I wasn't playing that game. But she wasn't going to let me go. She kissed me and must have tasted her own blood on her lips. I came really fast as I was half coming the whole time I was eating her. I went to shower as quickly as possible knowing I had just indulged in the most dangerous sex of my life. I almost didn't want to turn the light on. When I did I looked like some fucked up killer. There was blood all over my semi erect dick. There was blood all over my face. The shower water was cold but I bore it and washed and scrubbed as if I'd just for a swim in the excrement from the cholera ward.

I came back to the bed and she went to kiss me. I felt a certain revulsion now I had shot my load. "Pay ab nam pay" I said thinking I was speaking reasonably softly and politely. Seeming really upset she stormed out to the bathroom. After an hour had passed I began to feel a little concerned.

I got up and knocked on the bathroom door.

"Hello." I said in a fractured voice. "Are you all right in there."

There was no reply. I knocked on the door again. No reply.

I tried opening the door but she'd pulled the latch across. I walked away from the door like some defeated wimp and wandered around my room for a minute or two. The moonlight was shining through the window. The moon was full. That was when the loonies were at their worst.

I went back and knocked on the door again. I replaced knocking with banging. But then I thought about the neighbours. Fuck knows why I thought about the neighbours now at a time like this. I never thought about them at any other time.

I decided to break down my own bathroom door. It was only chipboard anyway. I gave the door a kick and, of course, nothing happened. Just a small crack in the outer paintwork.

I was saved from further embarassment along these lines by the sound of the latch being opened.

"I'm sorry." Said Jun slumping out the bathroom. My bathroom was covered in splashes of blood. Some of them smeared.

I felt this deep sick sensation as though someone had kicked me in the balls a few minutes earlier.

I looked from the blood in the bathroom to the blood on Jun. She had a series of minor looking cuts up her arms. Typically I had no bandages in the house so I dressed the wounds in kitchen roll and gaffa tape. She went back and lay on my bed looking all drunk. I didn't know whether to call an ambulance or not. The wounds may have been light but there were about twenty of them. So I called Richard instead. Richard was a doctor. I told him I'd dressed the wounds with gaffa tape and he called me a fucking idiot but he agreed to come over despite the fact it was about three in the morning.

"So where did you pick this one up." He said.

I told him. He laughed.

"What's funny."

"The same thing happened to another friend of mine with a girl from that same bar about a year ago."

"Is she going to be all right ?"

"It depends what you mean by all right. The wounds are nothing. They're about as deep as paper cuts. Probably made them with an eyebrow razor. But women like this. Fucking mental cases the lot of them."

"I owe you about a thousand drinks."

"Put it on the tab. She'll be all right. Put her in a cab home in the morning. They have a short time room in that bar. If I were you I'd use it next time."

When Richard left I sat with her. I held her hand. She didn't meet my eye for ages and when she did it was only for a moment before she looked away again and, eventually, went to sleep.

In the morning she was awake before me. She was watching me. Waiting for me to wake. "I clean up hong naam." She said.

"No. Don't worry about it. I'll clean it up later."

"You want me go ?"

"I'll take you back when you feel okay."

"Then you can take me back now."

"Why did you do it Jun."

"Because I know khun Turk not love Jun."

"I don't love anybody. I don't even know what it means. You're one of the sweetest and most beautiful women I know."

"Bullshit." She said with uncharacteristic hostility.

"No. It just sounds like bullshit. I mean it. But I can't help you. And if I can't help you then what's the use."

She just looked at me but I saw the thing, in that anger, that I hadn't seen before. Behind all that sweetness and vulnerability and bullshit softness there were demons. Someone else might have wanted to take them on for the sake of the rest of the package but they scared the shit out of me. I just wanted to walk away, which is, when all is said and done, what I do best.

Archived