What to do if farang dies in LOS?

thalenoi

A british man who broke with his family is in bad health.

He also refuses to see a docter, he has not been able to eat for weeks now, he lost a lot of weigth.

Does any one know what to do if he dies?

Do we need to wait for instructions via the British embassy?

That would take a lot of time I imagine.

Or should we inform the family and ask them what to do with the body, we do have a phone number and an adress in the UK.

He has not requested his family (a brother) to be informed now, but we are wondering if we should do this now or wait until he passed away.

He lives with a thai gf and she is wondering how to handle this situation.

first of all, in a case of death the embassy has to be informed. and that also better by you than by the authorities. then, you should inform the family back home, which is actually the embassy's job, but just to make sure. they have to decide then what to do with the corpse. most do go through a cremation here as the transport of the ashes are considerably cheaper than the tranprt of a corpse.

if they do not want either than the girlfriend, or his ffriends here, have to decide what to do.

if nobody wants anything to do with cremation, he will be brought from the morgue to the graveyard for the unclaimed dead.

still though, it makes live a lot easier for all involved if the embassy and the family back in his homecountry are informed about the failing health of the guy.

Difficult one to answer in terms of letting his family know. If it was me, I would tend to call them earlier rather than later and inform them of the situation. Personally, after having just lost my father a couple of months ago, I wish the doctors would have been more upfront with him and us as to the severity of his illness (cancer) and his imminent demise. I found it very hard being 5,000 miles away when he died unexpectedly to us but not to his doctors.

Some might say its not your resposibility but at least you will be helping out the Thai girl in the long term. handling this could be quite complicated and potentially expensive.

Cheers

I have known 2 farang guys who died.. Both mid to late 20s. Both teachers.

The embassy should take care of most of it. They do have a budget and a service for such things. Both the UK and German embassies have about 60-80 (as of 2001) deaths a year. Mostly nightlife or entertainment related.

They will usually contact the family and ask what they want.

On the gf's request I phoned the man's brother.

He was grateful to finally have some news from his brother after many years of silence. All he knew from the british embassy was the date he entered Thailand. He never succeeded in locating his brother.

I don't know how things will evolve from here, but at least we know the brother in the UK does care.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived