Credit/debit card warning!!!

dddave

Hi,

In the my brother's case, his work deposits his salary directly to this particular bank and going inside the bank to do business takes some time, so the ATM was a convenient item. Since the charge appeared, he has quit the ATM.

By the way, that branch of the bank in question found a couple of workers who ran a software system randomly taking money out from accounts, especially the ones which have little/no activities. They prosecuted one of them and punished another person by transfering him to up-in-a-boondock town with demotion. No jail term for this guy because he paid back the bank and his father-in-law was a big-shot governor of a province.

Hi Dave,

When I am overseas, I pay cash for EVERYTHING except the hotel accommodation - I always try to pay that before I arrive in country.

Yes, it can mean carrying more cash / making more ATM transactions than one would consider wise, but I prefer that to the prospect of some dodgy operator getting access to my credit card details AND signature (yes, I know they can do it minus the signature, but its one more thing to stress about). Only theft, thus far, was when my wallet was stolen (900 RMB) shortly after visiting an ATM in Guilin.

We recently had a woman at work accuse the entire organisation, via email, of stealing her credit card, ordering goods online and returning it to her bag (!). The reason she didnt suspect external fraud was that she had 'never used my card on the Internet' !!! Jesus, woman : get a freaking grip ...

All part of the wonderful, modern world we live in :)

Seeya,

Artie

[color:"redYes,itcanmeancarryingmorecash/makingmoreATMtransactionsthanonewouldconsiderwise,butIpreferthattotheprospectofsomedodgyoperatorgettingaccesstomycreditcarddetailsANDsignature(yes,Iknowtheycandoitminusthesignature,butitsonemorethingtostressabout)."] [/color]

I agree with you. I am ashamed to say that I do not trust most Thais when it comes to greed for money. I do use the credit card only as needed like the dumb Amarin Airport Hotel which wanted my credit card even though the room was paid in advance!!!

Jasmine ::

well the only place worldwide I had to produce photo ID(passport/drivers license) was recently in Russia & that virtually all restaurents/bars except a strip joint which double charged me & Amex is still negotiating to recover the theft :doah:

for sure I've lost plenty of cash during the years of travel, but only gained using CC(bills never being charged for whatever reason?) :D

the dumb Amarin Airport Hotel which wanted my credit card even though the room was paid in advance!!!

Hi Jas,

You've raised a good point - many hotels will ask for it as 'security' in case you proceed to imbibe the contents of mini-bar then throw the TV into the pool (while its still plugged in !). I hate staying in hotels the week after Robbie Williams has left the country.

Still, limiting the number of people who get your details remains the best way to minimise the chance of abuse, and gives your financial institution some chance of collating data re hotels and abuse. If they are consistently insecure, I'm sure that they'll get a 'please explain' letter.

[color:"red"] Still, limiting the number of people who get your details remains the best way to minimise the chance of abuse, and gives your financial institution some chance of collating data re hotels and abuse. If they are consistently insecure, I'm sure that they'll get a 'please explain' letter.

[/color]

Just this last Saturday, one of my neighbors accidently left her credit card at a Sears. By Sunday, when she reported it, over $500 was charged! We just cannot trust some people so caution like you mentioned is a best pratice anywhere.

Jasmine ::

yeah but leaving a CC behind is pretty much like dropping cash out of the pocket - a loss, but using a CC for purchases/withdrawels anywhere I would consider a bit like everyday use & much safer than bringing wads of cash around.

basically it's just a generation thing - younger people like me who are brough up with the platics simply find using cash for major expenses a hassle, while the elder generation naturally tend to not trust the system that much :dunno:

chok dee ;)

Archived