Beaten

The air was still. A small break in the dark violet Bangkok clouds. A streetside palm tree with brown fringed leaves looked like a photograph. Hundreds of tiny flies hovered in the luminescent glare of a fluorescent light. I noticed all these things as I lay on the ground being kicked. I almost could have counted those flies as the occasional kick hit home and a spasm of pain flushed through my whole body.

They weren?t big guys but they really seemed to be going for it. Kick to the thigh, kick to the back, kick to the side. The one in the side was a killer. Spread through me. They didn?t just keep to the one area. They really wanted me to look a wreck. It seemed kind of over the top just to nick a wallet they already had but I lay there and I weathered it. Drifted off in a way. Thought about other things. A well targeted blow would bring me back into the pain but, thankfully, I?d had a lot to drink over the course of the evening so the milder blows almost didn?t matter.

It had begun with a jump kick to the small of my back. That was the one that had me sprawled on the ground. A few seconds earlier they had asked me, with a knife, for my wallet. It was the end of the evening. There wasn?t much in there. I minded more about the photo but I handed it over. I?d never been mugged in Bangkok before. I didn?t even know anyone who?d been mugged in Bangkok before. Not a farang anyway. But my attitude to muggers generally to give them what they want and walk away. I could make more money but a bad blow to the head or a knife wound in the wrong place was irreparable. Thais are among the least confrontational people in the world. I figured that if they were actually going to confront me it must be kind of serious. Maybe they were baa?d out on yaa baa. Only one of the three seemed interested in covering his face which he did with one of those Khmer Rouge style hankies.

One thing that did strike me as odd, while I lay there, being used as football practice. As much as their kicks varied they never once kicked me in the head. It was all body blows. A couple of soi dogs watched me from across the road looking all mangy. I guessed they knew what it was like to get a kicking too.

I don?t know what made the guys stop and run off. Maybe someone coming. They did gob on me before their flight. Not that I really gave a shit about that. I was just glad they?d stopped.

I picked myself up, radically underestimating the damage, and started to walk. I think I walked a block or two before the pain shot through my side. I felt forced to sit down by the side of the road.

The soi dogs had followed me and, I think, were planning to eat me. One bared it?s fangs.

?Fuck off Lassie? I said in as harsh a voice as I could muster. It wasn?t harsh enough because this, the lead dog, started barking at me and barking at me. An old man with a vest, a hankie over his head, and a face so sunken that their couldn?t have been a tooth left in it came out and shooed the dogs away. He was soon joined by a few other people. I could hear one man saying ?farang mao.? Another pointed out I?d been beaten up.

It had been an interesting evening. Earlier on I?d been out on the piss with Richard and Bob and Swedish Vic. Swedish Vic collected women who could do strange tricks. He was always proud to introduce his friends to a woman who could touch her arse with her tongue or know exactly where and how to touch a man to make him piss against his will. As the evening wore on he?d gone back to a girl?s house because she?d told him she could have sex with her pet python. We went on to Nam?s bar.

Nam saw me as soon as I walked in the door and went on to completely blank me. Instead she came and sat with Richard and kissed him into a state of frenzy. She didn?t even look at me. When she went back to dance I suggested as clearly as possible that we retreated to another bar where things were a little quieter. Bob said something about going to meet Sawannii for dinner. Tomorrow was their three month anniversary. This left me and Richard alone in a small bar where the women came on fairly strong.

?What?s the score with that other bar. Why were you so desperate to leave ??

?I don?t know.? I said. ?But there?s something going on with that girl who sat with you. She?s a bit odd.?

?I guess you should know.?

As was usually the case we ended up going our separate ways. He ended up going with one of the girls from the touch-up bar. I went to the Thermae. But, as had been the case for a while now, I just didn?t want to go with anyone. I was still hung up on Nam. I couldn?t get her out of my head and I couldn?t really think why.

Anyway. I decided to take the scenic back alley route home. This was when I got mugged.

One of the gathered Thais kindly brought me some water. I explained that I?d just been mugged and beaten up. I didn?t have any money but if someone could get me to a hospital I?d pay them when I got out. A guy who looked either stoned or drunk said he?d give me a lift on his ?motorsie?. I nodded mainly because I didn?t want to be stuck here for the next few days.

The hospital staff were only too pleased to welcome a farang with lots of health insurance. I was wheelchaired around by nurses who each looked like a sex fantasy rather than a real nurse. I could almost imagine suspender belts and expert hand jobs being part of their routine. I had tests run and their was a slight fracture to one of my ribs. It looked as though it would mend itself but they?d like to keep me in a couple of days for observation. Lots of painkillers and deep heat massage on the bruising. This was fine by me.

On the second day the nurse came to me and told me I had a visitor. I?d had Richard come over to lend me some ready cash but I didn?t think anyone else new I was here.

?Who is it ??

?Your wife come to see you. She?s very upset.?

?My wife.?

The nurse led this woman to my bed. She was dressed in a cream suit with a cream wide brimmed hat. She glanced at the nurse who drew a curtain around the bed. She looked up at me and I saw it was Nam. I figured Richard must have told her.

A small electric shock zipped through me.

Nam raised a finger to her lips. I saw a stage tear causing her mascara to run.

?Good morning Mrs Fist.? I said. ?What can I do for you today.?

?I heard what happen Tilac. I so worry.?

?Well these things happen.?

?I so worry about you. Cing cing. I call every hospital to find you.?

?Well. Thanks for coming. I can?t tell you how much it means to see you.?

?Really ??

?Absolutely.?

?I feel so bad. I think if you stay my bar and stay with me... I think nothing happen to you. I think if you not so jealous no have someone come hurt you.? The words seemed to have more than a hint of menace in them but I let it go.

?I suppose we all have our cross to bear.?

?But I think I can make up to you.?

?That?s so nice of you. But I already have the one cracked rib. I think better leave all that for another time.?

She tutted me and stepped close to my bed. She smelled expensive. She put her face to mine and sniff-kissed my cheek. She lowered her voice to a whisper. ?What one hurt ??

?You mean which rib. Tell the truth they don?t hurt that much. As long as I don?t move I feel just fine.?

She peeled back the blanket and looked me in the eye. I was wearing brand new pyjamas with faint blue lines rather than those smock things. I?d had a nurse go and buy them for me. She unbuttoned the pyjamas with great care and attention spreading the shirt across my chest as if to appraise the damage. I just let her. It was almost as though I thought, for the moment, that she was an expert checking me over.

She shook her head when she saw the green and blue tinged bruising. ?Oooh. Tilac. I think you hurt a lot.?

She took off her hat and threw it on the visitor?s chair and then lay her head gently against my chest. She kissed the nastiest looking bruise and then looked up at me. ?This one look very bad.?

She stood up and traced her fingers along the skin giving me a mock sympathetic glance. Then she pulled herself up on to the bed and swung one leg over me so she was kneeling astride my legs sitting on my thighs. She looked me dead in the eyes. ?Why you not come to see me every night same before ??

?Well. You know how it is. So many bars. So many women.?

?But only one Nam, Turk. Not have someone same me anywhere.?

?You?re going to hurt me aren?t you.?

She laughed. ?You want Nam hurt you tilac ? If you want me hurt you I hurt you. Can do everything.?

?Naah. You?re all right. I?ll give it a miss if that?s all the same. I think I?ve had enough assault and battery for one week.?

Nam erected herself on her knees and walked her knees toward me until her groin was inches above my chest. The fabric of her cream skirt stretched to the limit. ?You want me tirac ? Right now. Can do everything.?

I found my attention drifting to the encased fluorescent light above.

?Look at me.? She said, a little too loud.

I looked at her. She bit her lip and pulled one of those erotic reverie faces she pulled while doing her act. Then she ran her hands down to the hem of her skirt and she pulled it back across her thighs. She was naked underneath. I guessed she was always naked underneath. She ground her hips so that her cunt was inches from my face and she ran her hands all over her body which, as she was wearing this Doris Day outfit, was a kind of heightened thing. Then she broke off in an instant, the act disappeared, and she had this childish look like she was really pleased with her own performance. ?You like ??

?Yeah. I like. I like you. I like everything about you. Okay. Truth is, though, I?m on these anti-inflammatory drugs, and I couldn?t do anything about it anyway.?

She smiled. She was really pleased. For a brief second she lowered her pussy into my face and those lips were against my lips. A strange kiss. Then she climbed off me and smoothed her skirt so she looked all dignified again. ?Is good how I tell them I same you wife.?

?Yes. Very clever.?

She smiled broadly and left me a small passport photo of herself on my bedside table. ?When you alone and can make. Then you can shuck waow.?

She blew me a kiss and pulled the curtains back and was gone.

The rest of the day started to go slowly. I looked at the picture of her and then put it in the drawer. I didn?t want to think too much about her. She had the effect of overbalancing me.

Later on Richard popped by. He had a handful of magazines ?In case the nurses leave you alone.?

I laughed.

?I had a visitor today.? I said.

?Oh ??

?Thanks for telling everyone what happened.?

?Mate. I didn?t tell anyone.?

?Yeah right.?

?No really. I?ve been on since I left you yesterday. Who would I tell ??

?So nobody knows I?m in here.?

?No... But I can spread the news if you want me to. I didn?t think of it.?

?That?s okay.?

We chatted for a while. The usual bullshit. Then he left. I thanked him for the magazines and lay back. If he didn?t tell Nam I was here who the fuck did ?

Well. There was a strange course of information spreading that occurred wherever and whatever you did in Bangkok. I was used to everyone knowing most of my business. That?s why I?d long since stopped bothering to lie about where I?d been and what I was doing. But it seemed really odd that Nam would know what had happened to me.

Then that little phrase came back to me :- ?I feel so bad. I think if you stay my bar and stay with me... I think nothing happen to you. I think if you not so jealous no have someone come hurt you.?

I took her picture out my drawer and looked at her. I thought of the taste of her on my lips. I thought of all her little veiled hints and threats. I thought of all the terrible things she was done and all the more terrible things she was going to do. And I suddenly felt this terrible urge to shuck waow.

I rang for a nurse.

Archived