Your Children - Half Thai / Half Farang

For those of you that have a child that is a Luuk Krueng, what did you call them ? By this I mean, did you use a Thai Name, or a farang name? Or did you use something that could be adapted across both?

In addition. after awhile was there any regrets with the name you eventually decided on?

Thanks

SB.

Hi SanukBoot,

Both my sons (LK) have european first names, then a thai middle name and my family name.

Just for the record we live in Europe now and when the time comes when my sons have finished their education, it will probably still be a disadvantage to have a foreign family name.

I am quite happy with their names.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Thats not a bad idea incorporating both types of names! The problem for me, is it is our family tradition the name of the father will become the middle name of the child and I am unsure about having a Thai first name! and I don't want the wife and her family to feel we have shunned them....

SB.

I wouldn't get too concerned which name is first or second. Many people use their 2nd name as the common one. Think it's good to have both cultures in the names though.

My son has a Thai name on his Thai birth certificate, but has a farang name added on his British birth certificate. He was originally registered with a farang name but it was changed, not by us. I had lawyers letters and a remonstration from the British Embassy as to why it was changed, but once it was on the certificate there is no going back. We received a very fulsome apology from the ampere and some ignorant clerk was meant to have lost his job.

He is known by his farang name, even at school despite having his Thai name on his uniform.

We gave my son a Western first name and a Thai middle name. The only time we refer to him by his Thai name is for fun with Thai people. There again we live in the US so I don't know what we would have done if we were still in Thailand. I suspect we still would use the Western name first.

Hi Sanukboot,

Our daughter has a Thai name, a western middlename, by which we call her and my surname.

This set up, with possibly the Thai and western name switched, seems to be fairly common, as you can see on the board already, but also with a lot of friend of mine who have Look Kruung.

Hi LaoHuLi,

I think so too.

However, I would be fooling myself if I was to say that a foreign name on a job application would make no difference in my country. Because it unfortunately still does. A western sounding name is no problem, but sign your application with a "strange-sounding" surname like an arab, thai one or whatever you may very well be sorted out just because of this reason. Sad but only too true.

I will recommend my son when the time comes to sign with only the danish names and just write S for his thai name. Not because he should hide his origin, but because he in that case may never even get the chance to go an interview.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Guest lazyphil

Our daughter has just an English name on her birth certificate--personally I dont see much point having a Thai name as it wont ever get used and even when she spends time in LOS its better she called the same name all the time not to confuse her--its more important I think for her to assume the Thai qualities such as good manners they have etc than worry too much about a name. IMO.

Archived