Thai food in Melbourne?

steffi

Hi, it's been a while since I've been in Melbourne. In fact the last time I was here was pre GST but in anycase anybody tell me why Thai food here seems to be so expensive? Specifically in the Chinatown area the average entre price is about $13. Pad Thai typically costing around $13.50 at most places.

Now I've just come from the US where most entres are less than $10USD.

Here it seems Thai resturaunts are priced like Indian resturaunts in the US.

I've not been been into the suburbs yet and I'm sure near the Universities there must be decently priced Thai resturaunts but none the less even in the major CBD areas in the US Thai food is a lot less pricey.

While I can't argue with the prices of Thai food in Melb, I do take issue with the comparison. US$10 is Aus$14 and then you have to add another 20 -30% tip in the States.

Still the buzz around Ying Thai in Lygon St and Victoria St Richmond may be worth investigating.

My local Thai place is fantastic. The only place Miss Red considered authentic Thai food. She didn't seem to like the chinatown places at all. Especially one which had the description next to the wrong names of food. (It seemed they simply got a list of any old food names and matched them to the recepies!)

Here's the address, quite small and easy to miss though

Nirvana Thai

Shop 9, 427 Hampton St

Hampton 3188

Can't recommend it highly enough. OK prices, great food, pleasant atmpshere.

I went back to Melb 4 months ago, after trying a few Thai restaurants with pretty ordinary food I thought there is a good opportunity for real thai food here. Even out in the Burbs where the rents are cheap, the restauarants seem busy and the food ain't great and is bloody expensive. But I can't leave my beloved Thailand so will have to forgo the challange.

Archived