Mobile service: Issan

dddave

I'll be arriving in Thailand 11/11 for a 4 to 6 month stay, much of which will be spent in Issan, near Udon Thani. I want the home folks to be able to get in touch with me in case of any emergencies, so I plan to buy a used mobile at MBK. What I am confused about is what will be the best service plan for me. I doubt that I'll be making a lot of outgoing calls, but will need up-country service, as well as other parts of Thailand.

I am unfamiliar with the various providers and their individual advantages. Any suggestions about which is best for my situation?

Thanks

dj

I propose you to get to udon first & check out the coverage around your home bases i.e. ask around what networks the folks out there rely on. basically AIS(one 2 call) tries to promote itself as best countrywide coverage, while in many cases DTAC (Dprompt) serves you better & Orange being the odd 3rd option :dunno:

Have fun

I think AIS is popular because of many cell sites and the popularity and ease of one2call. I've noticed many DTAC towers going up so definitely worth checking them out. As others mentioned check around the area you'll be.

I have AIS and barely get a signal at home using an external antennae but the signal improves greatly about 1/2km away. The SMS and voice mail features may be all you really need to be concerned with if you just want folks at home to be able to reach you in an emergency. When you get within range of a signal you can receive your important messages. Pretty economical at 300baht every 30 or 60 days, I don't remember the details, for AIS pre-paid account. It's real easy to send an SMS using AIS website.

Archived