Airline Ticket - Price on ticket vs actual price

gobbledonk

Guys,

I'm sure that there is a common-sense answer, but why is the price printed on my international tickets always considerably higher than what I *actually* paid for them ? For example, I am paying a little over $3000 for my holiday to Jakarta - accomm and transfers included - yet my air ticket has a figure of $3800 on it. Are they just trying to make me feel good about myself ( :grinyes: ) ?

I know that this is an awfully naive question, but I've yet to hear a reasonable answer from anyone I know, regardless of their level of flying experience.

Hi artiew,

the price on the ticket is the official price, If you want to buy a Thai Airways ticket in Bangkok airport you must pay that price. If you go inside Bangkok you can buy the ticket for almost half price in travel agencies but also directly from Thai Airways.

elef

Hi

Package holiday ticket?

If so they put the full ""published""airfare on the coupons.

They cant sell tickets for under the published fares in IATA fares book..

They wll buy a net remit ticket...buy from consolidator..on the ticket is the full published fare.

So that ticket may have only cost them AUD 900+tax..depends on the deal they have with the ticket consolidator.

Artiew,

In the days of tariff regulation, the airlines always put the published (read public, available to all qualified) fare on the ticket, regardless of what you actually paid, because of legalities. Published fares had to be filed with the concerned govt. agencies (they still are but more lax now). They weren't really *allowed* to be discounted.

That's not often the case nowadays, in most markets, but there are still a couple of other reasons to put a published fare on the ticket:

1. There are multipe airlines on your itinerary. Barring any bilateral agreements between the airline you bought your ticket on (generally the over the water carrier) and the secondary carrier, the amount to be prorated between the airlines will be that shown in the fare box on the passenger flight coupon. Another (non-published) amount could cause a billing dispute between airlines.

2. Asian airline traditional business practice. Give x commision off published fare to the travel agent. The amount you pay is somewhere in between. The reconciliation process is not always automated and can be time consuming. This is just old school stuff.

Most airlines don't give a damn what fare is shown on the ticket if you're flying on their services alone. Or they may choose to show no value at all, such as BULK or BT.

Whatever, just don't expect them to endorse your flight coupon over to another carrier or expect to get a refund on any portion of your ticket ;)

OK - thanks, guys. I think there is a deadline for cancellations on my ticket, but I have absolutely no intention of cancelling this trip. From the day I first squeezed my 6'2" frame into an Economy Class seat, I have dreamt of flying Business Class. Beyond that, the prospect of being able to go *shopping* on Xmas and Boxing Day is extremely alluring to a former altar boy :devil:

BTW, I am the classic male shopper - get in, get what I need and get the hell out. I wonder what I'll do on the other 23 hours of Xmas Day ?

Just noticed same on e-ticket purchased directly from SWISS to Brussels via Zurich paid 35k baht, valid 3 months, refund-reroute-change permitted, eticket shows price of 61540 plus taxes, total 64.475. E-Ticket mentions economy and tarif KMF3MTH

I don't get this also.

Says thalenoi:

Just noticed same on e-ticket purchased directly from SWISS to Brussels via Zurich paid 35k baht, valid 3 months, refund-reroute-change permitted, eticket shows price of 61540 plus taxes, total 64.475. E-Ticket mentions economy and tarif KMF3MTH

I don't get this also.

Hi

The KMF3MTH will be the fare basis:

Go into that fare and will show what booking class to use/7day advance purchase or 21 day advance etc...also the rules of the fare as you have shown..refundable changes etc.

Archived