Where to stay long term in Pattaya and Bangkok?

Alfalfa,

I have now and then thought about taking an extended vacation for a few months, and have debated in my mind whether to stay in BKK or Pattaya. I think fundamentally the choice comes down to a big city vs. a smaller one. The big city (BKK) has a better developed infrastructure and far more diversions to keep you occupied. The small city (Pattaya) has a lower standard of living and more of a quiet lifestyle. I think if you are good at keeping yourself amused, Pattaya is a better choice. Otherwise stay in BKK.

JG

you can also go anywhere from Pattaya, by bus (issan, Chiang Mai), and Koh Samui by plane (lot cheaper from Utapao than Bkk). If you want to pay 5 to 6000 for comfy condos a km from Jomtien, there are condos i can tell you about, if you are interested. Otherwise, i hear Viewtalay is about the same comfort, but nearer the beach, that's twice the price. Diana estates on Soi Buakkao, off soi 10, looks quite fine, with 2 pools in a rather large estate, close enough to the soi 8 action and Buakkao is a cool little street,with lots of girls hanging around, as it's a lodging street with tons of restaurants. Pattaya and the region will be a lot more fun if you consider renting a moped (3000 a month). pattaya127@aol.com

I am presently in a situation where I am able to take an extended vacation for 2-3months or more depending on how my money holds out.

What are some good options for extended stays in Thailand? I am considering a condo in Jomtien beach for the relaxed beach atmosphere combined with cheap cost and proximity to the biggest little adult playground on earth. I might consider Bangkok for part of my stay if the price is right. Bangkok has bus transportation to all parts of the country and I think I would like to try see lots of it by going on several 3-4 day trips. Then again I could do that from Pattaya but would probably have to go through Bangkok anyway most of the time.

Anybody have any recommendations? The priorities for me in order of importance are:

Quiet,since I am a light sleeper

Comfort, I don't need to be pampered but don't want to live in a shithole either

Cost, the cheaper I can live the longer I can stay.

Ammenities, I don't need a pool but a health facility with free weights and some cardio machines would be a big plus. Either that or maybe someone can recommend a good gym?

Convenience, I would like good access to cheap local and long range transportation since I plan to be frequently on the move. Also helps to have a good foodmarket nearby. With the baht buses, I consider anywhere near the main route around Jomtien beach as convenient.

One place that looks like it meets my requirements is Viewtalay Condo in Jomtien

http://www.multimania.com/viewtalay/tarif.index.html

At 11,000baht I would probably go for the Deluxe studio or maybe the superior deluxe for an extra 1000baht if I decide I needed a kitchen.

Does anyone know of anything better or cheaper but with a similar comfort level? What would I expect to pay for a place like this in Bangkok? Any insights from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Archived