Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Recommendations

I have reservations in Feb 02. i was firmly convinced a good hotel. Recently ran into a website by a Brit who lives in Bangkok---seemed awlful negative about alot of stuff. He gave a negative review of the Landmark complaining primarily about the shopping arcade area and signs(?). Those comments didn't bother me, but his statement that the he thought the hotel was in a rapid state of decline did to an extent. Anyone out there who has recently stayed there or is familiar enough to have an opinion? I am looking forward to my stay there in a suite.

Hi Craig,

I'm pretty sure (well absolutely positive) that you're talking about my website. Me...negative?...never LOL.

I go quite regularly to the landmark. It's definitely a hotel in decay and possibly the worst-designed hotel I've seen. I've been countless times and still get lost when I'm coming from the carpark. I admit that the shopping arcade is neither here nor there for most people but the one in the Landmark is a truly depressing sight.

The hotel has a good location though it must be said

Stayed at the Landmark trip before last, about three months ago. Room was Ok, breakfast was Ok; location is great.

However, they defiantly don?t encourage guests. Came in one early afternoon with a girl and breezed right through. In the night however, they have one of those annoying security guards positioned right in front of the elevators. I hid my annoyance as he took the girl?s ID and listened to his song and dance about ?normally 800b joiner fee, but this time I not charge you??

If you are going to spend the money, the JW Marriott, right around the corner, is a much better choice. Never any hassles with the girls, and a much classier act.

quote:

Originally posted by PartOfTheProblem:

Stayed at the Landmark trip before last, about three months ago. Room was Ok, breakfast was Ok; location is great.

However, they defiantly don’t encourage guests. Came in one early afternoon with a girl and breezed right through. In the night however, they have one of those annoying security guards positioned right in front of the elevators. I hid my annoyance as he took the girl’s ID and listened to his song and dance about ‘normally 800b joiner fee, but this time I not charge you’…

If you are going to spend the money, the JW Marriott, right around the corner, is a much better choice. Never any hassles with the girls, and a much classier act.

If u stay on the club floor there should be no problem with guests. The hotel is not cheap by Thailand standrds but you really can't beat the location.

Since you are willing to spend the money for a suite, I think you would be better off at the JW Marriott. The suites are much nicer (especially those ending in -23), absolutely no problem with guests (extra charge, ID check, walk of shame), and it has the same advantage of close location to Nana.

The hotel is definitely declining. I stayed

there in June 1997 and April 2001. The difference was disturbing. The maids were incredibly stingy with the towels, I didn't even have time to offer them a tip. They were rude and ungracious. The breakfast was fair.

I then switched to the Marriott for $88 USD

for 2 people. I would never stay at the

Landmark again. Jay

To Bangkok Phil, and all: Thanks for the response on the Landmark. Phil, I'm not sure if it was your comments I read or not, but your observations seem to be right on from what the otehrs are saying, so I thank you for the recommendation and appologize if I sounded somewhat doubtful as to your appraisal. I actually neglected to say that I was coming to Bangkok with my wife (Thai) of 27 years. I will be in Bangkok for 11 days of which my wife will be gone to Udorn for 5 in the middle.....and I am seriously considering checking out the action. Not a total idiot (some might argue considering my plans, wink.gif" border="0 ),I had no intention of bringing a guest to our hotel. So it's all ST for me at a ST hotel OR a cheap smaller hotel where I can keep a room for a few days.

Anyway, I am switching hotels from the Landmark (too close to the action for comfort anyway) to the Dusit Thani. Had to go down in room size because of price, but it does have a reputation as a nice hotel.

Any feedback on the state of the Dusit would be appreciated--Phil?

Thanks,

CraigS_GI

Jay where did you book the Marriot for that price, was it walk in? the cheapest I can find on the web is $110.

A travel agent here (UK) warned me off the Lanmark as they are having lots of work done in the place, renovating rooms etc-peter

quote:

Originally posted by JAYBLOOM:

I then switched to the Marriott for $88 USD

for 2 people. I would never stay at the

Landmark again. Jay

Archived