top 100 singles of all time?

sayjann

a poll amongst the Brits about the top 100 #1 records of all time.

we are talking about records throught the years.

the criteria was they had to have reached the top of the charts in the UK.

of course they might not have done the same in other countries.

i will post the reuslts in 4 parts,otherwise the post will be too long.

i will post the first 25 votes and look forward to any views from you guys.

but another question,i see these polls and i have never been asked for my view,who are the guys that i get asked?.

but before i saw the poll i thought what i thought might be the top song.

i thought of BoRap,Imagine and Live Aid.

will i be close?.

100-Paul McCartney and Wings__'Mull Of Kintyre'-1977/1978(how i hated this crap,those fucking bagpipes drove me mad).

99-Frankie Laine__'I Believe'-1953(18 weeks at #1).

98-Cliff Richard And The Shadows__'The Young Ones'-1962.

97-Boney M__'The Rivers Of Babylon'-1978.

96-Black Box__'Ride On Time''1989(another record i hated,sampled vocals by a gospel singer and the girl in the video is a French model but with no words from her in the entire song).

95-Bill Haley And His Comets__'Rock Around The Clock'-1955(the original Comets are still touring to this day).

94-The Pretenders__'Brass In Pocket'-1980(i liked the Pretenders and good old Chrissie is still a fav and the song was the first #1 of the 80's).

93-Desmond Dekker And The Aces__'The Israelites'-1969

92-Thunderclap Newman__'Something In The Air'-1969(Thunderclap Newman never sang a word on the song and the original title was Revolution,but a small band called the Beatles realeased a song by that name just before them and they had to change the title).

91-Soul II Soul__'Back To Life(However Do You Want Me)'-1989(more crap disco in my opinion).

90-Frank Sinatra__'Strangers In The Night'-1966

89-Kraftwerk__'The Model'-1982(loved this song and because of them Rammstein were formed,need i say more?).

88-Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourd__'Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus'-1969(too young to remember but have followed the controversy since and Bardot was the original idea for the female singer,but her husband at the time forbade it).

87-Roxy Music__'Jealous Guy'-1981(ok my personal view here,this to me is the greatest cover version ever made and a fantastic tribute to Lennon.

i never liked the original but Ferry bought out all the emotion which Lennon did not and it holds many personal memories for me,

definatelly one of my top 5 records ever and when i hear the song i am in tears).

86-Kylie Minogue__'i should Be So Lucky'-1988(how the fuck can the georgeous Kylie be above some of the previous singers?,but i still want her so much.......she is the original babe).

85-Lionel Richie__'Hello'-1984'- (i preferred Say You,Say Me) and the Girl in the video is really blind.

84-Smokey Robinson & The Miracles__'The Tears Of A Clown'-1970(Stevie Wonder wrote the music and gave the song to Smokey to write the lyrics and it is one of the all-time classics).

83-Culture Club__'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me'?-1982(ok i confess i bought this on vinyl.....but it was #1 in 23 countries).

82-Buddy Holly__'That'll Be The Day'-1957(an all time fav of mine,i love his music even though he died before i was born,he was 22 when he died but so much of his music helped others.

one of the first songs Lennon and McCartney recorded was a version of this song).

81-Stevie Wonder__'I Just Called To Say I Love You'-1984(another song i really hate along with Happy Birthday).

80-The Four Top__'Reach Out I'll Be There'-1966(another classic).

79-Prince__'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World'-1994(he had much better records).

78-U2__'The Fly'-1991(why the fuck is this included?).

77-10cc__'I'm Not In Love'-1975(an alltime classic and brings back memories for me in my final year at school.

Eric Stewart wrote one of the greatest love songs ever,and the 'big boys don't cry' is sung by a girl who worked in the office and was just passing when the recording was being made).

76-UB40__'Red Red Wine'-1983(UB40 recorded a version of the song by Tony Tribe which they later discovered was a cover version of a Neil Diamomd song.

Diamonds version is mush slower and better in my opinion).

Any poll worth its salt will specify the number and nature of the subjects surveyed in order to establish or confirm its construct validity, reliability and, most important, its generalisability. Otherwise it's simply not worth the paper its printed on. Invalid surveys reflect a corrupting effect on data, either accidental or with intent. For instance, I could say to you, "A recent survey showed that 90% of British males between the ages of 20 and 50 get pissed and smoke marijuana every day." (Quite possibly true, :drunk: but bear with me...) In fact, consciously wanting to prove that alkies and dopeheads are prevalent in today's UK :up:, all I might have done was to go down to Stoke Madhatters one night with my clipboard and ask my pal Smokey and nine of his brewhead "bong club" pals, one of whom had passed out at the time and, thus, "did not reply to the survey", :: Result: 9 out of 10 geezers said "Yes, I'm a piss artist and a whacky baccy addict!" so, bingo, I have a 90% evincing "extensive survey" of the "British public". :applause:

(However, since I'd calculately only polled known boozers and blowers, ;) any "generalisability" (extent to which findings from a study conducted on a sample population can be applied to the population at large) of my "experiment" would be shot to fuck. I'd be exposed as a fraud (wouldn't be the first time ;)) :( (And there's the rub...)

Bullshit, clearly. :cussing: And I suspect the "poll" you're quoting was managed in a similarly manipulative, unreliable and invalid fashion. :down: As you rightly remark, the inclusion of U2's "The Fly" (:doah:) at number 78 is a dead giveaway. I reckon if you polled a genuine, fair cross section of 1000 sane British adults, you'd be lucky to find one misguided loser who named that pile of shite as his/her favourite single (of all time for God's sake... :doah:). Of course, there's always some nutcases about, but... in a top 100 survey with no "equal" placings (so number 100 must've got one vote, number 99 got 2 votes, number 98 got 3 etc. etc.), to achieve sole number 78 ranking, "The Fly" would have to get at least (think about it) 23 votes... Sure. LOL! :grinyes:

Given the nutty nature of this survey up to press, however, I sincerely look forward to learning what lies ahead: I could do with a good laugh. The Wurzels at Number 1? :o Chicory Tip and The Exploited battling it out for the number 2 slot? :nono: Benny Hill's "Ernie (Fastest Milkman in the West" in at number 5? :bow: Sex Gang Children with 4 in the Top Ten? :clown: I'm surprised Wierd Al Yankovic, Frank Sidebottom, or Keith Harris and Orville haven't made a showing yet. :p

Hope that's me with too much time on my hands (again). :)

jack :help:

'ever fallen in love' is an all-time classic,but i will give you a clue,sadly not included.

should be the theme song to the LOS nightlife.

one thing i forgot to mention,only one song per Artist/Group included.

will try and post the next 25 today,and i have another couple of polls to follow.

FJ,you are a man after my own heart,Chicory Tip and the Wursels.

did it ever come better than that?.

but as to the never being asked question.when approached in the street by people with clipboards i normally put my head down and hurry past.

i normally get the sort of question like "is Fiery Jack a true indication of English manhood?".

the next installment.

75-Nilsson__'Without You'-1972.

74-Fleetwood Mac__'Albatross'-1969.

73-Scott McKenzie__'San Francisco(Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair)'-1967.

72-New Order__'World In Motion(featuring the crap rap by John Barnes)'-1990.

71-Donna Summer__'I Feel Love'-1977.

70-Pet Shop Boys__'West End Girls'-1986.

69-Eurythmics__'There Must Be An Angel'-1985.

68-Elvis Presley__'Jailhouse Rock'-1958(the 2nd of Elvis' #1's).

67-The Hollies__'He Ain't Heavy,He's My Brother'-1988(but first realeased in 1969).

66-Tom Jones__'It's Not Unusual'-1965.

65-Rod Stewart__'Maggie May'-1971(what a song and with the great John Peel playing mandolin in the video).

64-The Supremes__'Baby Love'-1964.

63-Village People__'YMCA'-1979(probably the most gay video ever made).

62-John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John__'You're The One That I Want'-1978.

61-Spandau Ballet__'True'-1983.

60-Ian Dury And The Blockheads__'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick'-1979.

59-Gerry And The Pacemakers__'You'll Never Walk Alone'--1963(god i hate this so much).

58-T.Rex__'Get It On'-1971(Bolan was a genius).

57-Cornershop__'Brimful Of Asha'-1998(i liked this one).

56-The Bee Gees__'Night Fever'-1978.

55-Slade__'Merry Christmas Everybody'-1973(Slade were the most successful chart group of the 70's)

54-The Righteous Brothers__'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling'-1965.

53-The Buggles__'Video Killed The Radio Star'-1979.

52-Wet Wet Wet__'Love Is All Around'-1994(check out REM's version,100% superior).

51-The Human League__Don't You Want Me-1982.

Archived