Linux hosted in Connectix Virtual PC

Dudes,

I wanted to play with Linux, hosted in a virtual PC on XP Pro. I am already successfully using Virtual PC (I have version 5.1) for Windows 98 and older versions of NT.

I decided to go with Debian and want to install it directly from the Internet. I get the network boot disk image; Virtual PC boots from it successfully and I am in Debian's initial setup.

Regardless of whether I choose ftp or http-based install, I just cannot get past this point, the setup cannot find the next file. However the file it complains about is readily visible using a broswer or ftp.

Does anyone have any experience getting Debian setup up using http/ftp based installs, inside a Virtual PC? Is there some pitfall I should be aware of?

I have never been a big Debian fan so I cant say for sure as I have only done Debian NFS installs and the parameters where already configured in an installation script. However maybe it will help if I ask if 1. Are you certain that your network interface is up? Im assuming that busybox is already loaded into core at that point so you should be able find a console with a free prompt (see keys below) and run ifconfig to see if your network interface has an IP and a network. ping something numeric and then in a human readable URL to see if you have a working gateway and DNS. If you have a failure somewhere along the way you'll probably have to bring the interface up manually. And 2.Are you supposed to indicate the URL for a file or the URL for the directory the file is in? Other than that I might suggest entering the exact error message in a google search with and without the term 'Virtual PC', and also checking your other consoles for any additional error messages [CTRL][ALT][F2], [CTRL][ALT][F3], [CTRL][ALT][F4]...

Also try asking at www.justlinux.com , of course search to see if it hasn't come up before. I might also suggest that you don't mention that you are using Virtual PC unless its important. Not because you have anything to be ashamed of but because it could invite enough sophmoric comments so as to derail your inquiry before you get a useful reply. The community moderation is however pretty good over there.

HTH

Thank you for your help.

You advice to use Alt+<number> did the trick -- I could see that Linux was getting the wrong gateway address from my DHCP server. I had configured Virtual PC's networking to use Shared Networking, which is apparently unfriendly to this scenario; changing it to Virtual Switch did the trick.

Thanks again.

Archived