FinallY: a legal way to own a land in Thailand

think_too_mut

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but to me this is all saying that Thailand welcomes the rich, while at the same time telling the rest of us to fuck off.

---------------------

Absolutely. this card says basically what we already know, that the country belongs not to force of law, but to anyone who has cash. Just think of a supra-citizenship like this in Holland, France, or USA, but here, thais don't even move a finger. This goes against any idea of national pride as advocated by said Thaksin, but if there's money in it.... Pitiful!

Personally, i think this card should be named "never a colony, but always on sale" card.

Most farangs that 'own' land here own it through a shell company that is technically not within the law and has a 51% Thai ownership. Or it's in the name of their wife or GF.

This proposal isn't any more or less risky than what farangs are already committing themselves to, the downside is the 20 million commitment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It needs to be said that it is just not Thailand that is after the rich.

Australia and indeed most of the western countries have schemes whereby you can buy a passport and become a citizen of the country. Of course the cost is quite high but still they are just as greedy as the Thais if not more.

The problem with Thailand is that they offer very little in the way of return with thisfly by night scheme.

>Australia and indeed most of the western countries have schemes whereby you can buy a passport and become a citizen of the country.

About Australia, it's not that easy. They would certainly open their doors to a well stuffed Eastern European tennis player.

When I had a closer look into the Oz laws, it was near to impossible for, say, Russian mafia, to pile up their money and send one of their numbers to Oz.

With Thais, it's virtually a box office open to anyone who wants to pay. Not comparable, IMO.

I haven't seen the details, but rumour has it that title is held in the name of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (for your "benefit", of course), and there are restrictions on alienation.

Property is a bundle of rights not an absolute, and if a few too many reeds of that bundle are missing from the package, the value of this sort of property 'ownership' is questionable. As always, the devil is in the detail, and until you know the details, I suggest a healthy dose of skepticism.

Archived