Man dies after winning vodka-drinking contest

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=405730&section=news

Man dies after winning vodka-drinking contest

Wed 19 November, 2003 13:44

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A vodka-drinking competition in a southern Russian town ended in tragedy with the winner dead and several runners-up in intensive care.

"The competition lasted 30, perhaps 40 minutes and the winner downed three half-litre bottles. He was taken home by taxi but died within 20 minutes," said Roman Popov, a prosecutor pursuing the case in the town of Volgodonsk.

"Five contestants ended up in intensive care. Those not in hospital turned up the next day, ostensibly for another drink."

Popov said the director of the shop organising this month's contest had been charged with manslaughter. He had offered 10 litres of vodka to the competitor drinking the most in the shortest time.

Russians drink the equivalent of 15 litres of pure alcohol per head annually, one of the highest rates in the world. Some experts estimate one in seven Russians is an alcoholic.

Happens in Eastern Europe all the time :drunk:

I have attended a three-day-wedding in Poland last year somewhere in the countryside east of Krakau. :help:

My oh my - I did not touch any Alcohol for some four month afterwards! :beer:

I do love to drink and probally do it more than the average kraut, but this pure wodka sessions are not my thing. :down:

Especially with so many beautifull and willing polish girls around (the Thais of Europe imo), waiting to be shagged!

:shhh:

MaW

I agree, I once saw a Russion at Moscow airport that drank 3 half litre bottles of vodka in the same time it took me to drink 2 beers. After he'd finnished he got up and walked to the gate. Now that's a real Russian, not som pussy that can't take his booze.

regards

ALHOLK

Real light weights.

Here in the True North and Alaska, we have a booze called Everclear. 190 proof...90% straight grain alcohol. KNow guys that drink it straight. and we kill a few every year inDown the bottle contests.

Never said we were smart. :banghead:

Says Peter1964:

Some experts estimate one in seven Russians is an alcoholic.

That's nothing, pal. :nono: A very recent extensive survey of heavy drinkers in Stoke, England, revealed that nine out of ten Brits are alcoholics! (One of the lads I asked had already passed out. :drunk:) Looks like we Brits could show those Ruskies a thing or two about boozing! :beer:

jack :up:

PS. See these "experts" who estimate how many people are alcoholics? Where do you apply for a job like that, then? ;)

Archived