Artist-craftsmen area in BKK ?

OCgringo

Hi all.

I was wondering if there was an area where there were artist , craftsmen etc

In Mexico City there is a place set-up by the goverment

so that the silversmiths, potters, glass blowers and other craftsmen can have small displays

just wondering if there is such a thing here ?

thanks

Sorry, can't help you with Bangkok, but if you get up to Chiang Mai and go to the night bazaar, there are many fine craftsmen and artisans there. Especially on the lower level. If you see anything even vaguely close to what you want they can reproduce just about anything. Well worth the trip IMO if you have the time to spare.

I'll be in Chaing Mai the second week of February (the other three weeks of the month, I'll be in Bangkok). Having bought and shipped back to the U.S. rosewood furniture over the last 7 years (I make it over about every 2 years), I've never been out of the Bangkok, Pattaya region and am looking forward to seeing Chaing Mai, both through sight-seeing and shopping for craftsman/artistian items and maybe a few piece of furniture. Besides the night bazaar and the nearby factories/villages, is there anywhere else within a few hours drive that would be considered an artisan center?

Theere are many craftsman centers. Lumpoon does the best Umbrellas and Baskets, other town alos specialize. Sorry but I'm not up to date these days. Best to go hanga round an expat pub like Mad Dog or HHH and talk with the guys that live there to get the latest. If you are looking for High quality Furniture check with Harper-Broste and expat couple that have produced great stuff for almost 20 years. He was the former owner of Bombay Company in the US. Most of his stuff is from seasoned teak but he may have some Rosewood as well. If not, he and is wife will be able to tell who does.

Sangkopan Area just outside CM is lined with shop/factories and stores. But many are tourist orientated and priced accordingly. You really need to befriend a local expat with a car to take you to the best places. Lots of luck and enjoy the trip.

Archived