Samui or Phuket?

I'm trying to avoid packing too many stops into my vacation, so I'm trying to choose between Koh Samui & Phuket. I'm looking for relaxing days lounging on the beach, snorkeling, etc, with enough of a nightlife/women scene to keep the experience interesting. (Pattaya is already on the itinerary, so I'm just looking for opinions on Samui and Phuket.)

Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks,

FHi Zwoel69

I have been to LOS 3 times for an average of 10 weeks each time. I always stay 2 weeks or so on

Ko Sam ui but have yet to visit Phuchet. Although

I have made several stops in neighbouring Krabi

Province (ko phi phi, Ao Nang, Railey).

I really enjoy snorkelling although I have yet to

get my scuba ticket (I keep drinking the money).

My breakdown on what difference you will

find is basically that there are some incredible

diving stops in the Samui area, like Ko Tao and

daily boat excursions out from the Island. For

Snorkeling from the beach you would need to be

on Chewang beach or some other that I am not familiar with. Samui is a bit more of a round heap

of an island in the midle of the ocean, there is

some rock outcropings etc.. but not that much.

It is much smaller (so far) than Phucket and as such quieter, you can venture to the center of the island and find quiet spots. I cant say for sure that

this would not be possible in Phucket.

Phucket as I understand is simular in formation as

to what is found in Krabi province, in That it

is comprised much of karst rock formations giving

you these sheer rock pinnacles that rise dramatically out of the ocean and a lot of rock faces draped in jungle flora. It's incredibly beutiful.

To boot the entire ocean area around Phucket is

a dive site, that doesn't mean that every beach would be good for snorkelling but in many diretions there are marine parks nearby and variou

smaller islands and reefs to entertain day excursions.

As far as the Sanuk scene goes, to my understanding Phucket has been populated more

heavily for a longer period of time (including pre tourism). This means not only that it is more developed but it is allso going to have more crowds

at least in the tourist areas. So there will be vastly

larger numers of Sanuk opportunities and the Island is the largest in LOS so could very well have some quieter areas as well.

If you opt for Ko Samui either time travel or quietude might likely be critical in your decision.

I love the place, and although I am bent on seeing

Phucket on my next trip I would not miss on Samui.

If you do come to Samui you will find that Chewang beach is the larger more popular, it is

sprawled over a larger areaand has good deal more of the higher end developments.

Lamai on the other hand is a little more compact like a small village with everything closer together,

there are a few more entertainment venues (sanuk included and excluded) and seems to have a more

fun light atmosphere for me. Whereas you will

definetley see more of the family and ferang couple

scene on Chewang.

Chewang is an easy 10 min scoot on your rented

motorcycle and the whole island on the ring road would take you about Hr 1:30.

zwoel69,

You didn't mention when you would be there. This is the wet season in Phuket. Its a bit drier in Samui. The monsoons shift in November in most years, so Phuket generally has better weather from December until around May.

Other than that, Pom_jao_Choo has it about right. Samui is quieter, smaller and less developed while Phuket has more spectacular scenery, more things to do, and a much bigger nightlife scene.

zwoel

I'd go to Phuket. You can do anything you like there. If you want the hectic bar-scene, you have the Patong beach area. Diving is fabulous, if you play golf that's fabulous too. But....if you want a quiet time, there are lots of areas that you con find to do this. For example, kamala beach (10 min north of Patong) is often very quiet. Granted there's not much there, but if you're just looking for a quiet beach with just a couple of dring shacks, the north end of kamala works. If you want to go upmarket, you can head to the Dusit/Sheraton/Banyon tree area (Bang Tao, I think...). Or there's Kata and Karon beaches, which are nice and not as crowded as Patong. To the south, there's rewai beach, where you can hire your own longtail boat and head offshore to some of the smaller islands.

All in all - lots of variety, more choice, great weather in February....what more could you want???

Archived