Nam Aoy

Torneyboy

Nam Aoy.

Not sure about the spelling of this in English.

It is a drink.

Went today to a suburb full of Thais and Vietnamese...my wifes sisters husband knew we were going and asked us to bring back a few cups of this drink.

Sweet and a yellow color.

I think my wife is saying it is palm sugar??..but only?

Sold by Thais in this suburb but not available in the city/chinatown/thainatown parts of the city ::

It's sugar-cane juice. It's quite a good pick-me-up due to the high natural (as opposed to refined) sugar content. In my experience it works very well against hangovers.

torneyboy said:

I think my wife is saying it is palm sugar

That would be nam tan (sot)

interesting that you could only get it at one place, never seen it here in Melb but I do see the Viet shops have sticks of raw sugar cane.

Used to see it in Brisie now and then.

hi big fella,

the best place in bris for that kind of stuff is around Darra/ and inala, plenty of viet (mainly chinese viet) shops around there. On a side note ...i'll give you a call in around new years for a beer in pattaya if you are allowed out.

Bakkabon said:

Im a Brisie boy and I love the Valley for its food but never have I seen the sticks of sugar cane getting juiced there, where in Brisvagus you from?

I saw a couple of hippies in a converted with a juicer jigged up to a bicycle at Griffith Uni a few times I think they did the market circut as well.

Haven't been in Brisvegas for 5-6 years.

Archived