Thai troops' plea: Spice it up

From Bangkok Post article:

Bland western food not to their liking

Wassana Nanuam

Thai troops at Lima camp in Karbala, Iraq, have sent out an urgent call for Thai seasonings and other ingredients to spice up a bland diet of pre-packed western meals.

The soldiers say they are not going hungry, far from it, but the pre-packaged Thai food they brought with them proved so popular with other foreign troops that supplies quickly ran out.

And after two months they have had enough of the meals-ready-to-eat (MRTE) supplied by the US military.

Sgt Mariam Chalardprom, a navy cook, said all the 443 Thai soldiers there were demanding Thai seasonings to add flavour to the meals.

``Western food is served at every meal. These are always cheese, beef, chicken, french fries, pizzas, ham, steaks and burgers. Some Thai soldiers have to eat them with chilli sauce,'' she said. They needed Thai chilli sauce, dried shrimp, spices, chillies and papaya to make the dishes they liked.

Sgt Mariam said she had limited fresh ingredients with which to cook Thai dishes because they were all required to eat pre-packaged meals to prevent intestinal problems.

She cooked Thai food when an Indian cook at the camp had spare canned and fresh food _ eggs, chicken and beef. The Indian cook did the favour because he often sought treatment from Thai nurses.

``Whenever we serve Thai food, foreign soldiers approach Thai soldiers' tables to try it because the food is delicious and foreign soldiers are probably also bored with their meals,'' she said.

Foreign soldiers were also attracted to the goods available at the Thai Post Exchange shop (PX). The most popular items were Thai energy drinks, which sold out in the first two weeks.

The next supply lift from Thailand to Karbala, by C-130 Hercules, is scheduled for Dec 9.

• 2 weeks later...
Escape Rabbit said:

From Bangkok Post article:

The Indian cook did the favour because he often sought treatment from Thai nurses.

"often" sought treatment eh? ;)

Wonder what his problem is?

Just thinking about those poor boys in the desert missing the comforts of home cooking got me thinking about foods I miss. Perhaps I'm pregnant as I'm currently missing kebabs, cornish pasties and custard tarts in no particular order. :doah:

Archived