INCOME TAX?

antbears

I am still living and earning outside Thailand but my wife works there in the public service. We got married earlier this year.

Does anyone know what happens to her tax status and if I would be liable to tax on my income other than my liability in my homeland.

In a few years I will be moving to Thailand and living here with my wife. I will have an income from home and may work or develop a business in Thailand.

Anybody know how the tax system works? Percentages etc?

I will be checking this out more formally, but views would be appreciated.

cheers

A.

If she claims you on her tax form 91 she will get a 30,000B deductable. But she would have to cover your taxes which will bring her into anyother tax bracket. She does not have to claim you. I dont claim my wife and she does not claim me. As far as the tax office is concerned we are single.

Here are the yearly tax rate.

from 0 to 50.000 0 %

from 50.000 to 100.000 5 %

from 100.000 to 500.000 10 %

from 500.000 to 1 Mio. 20 %

from 1 Mio. to 3 Mio. 30 %

over 3 Mio. 40 %

Example

50.000 x 0 % = 0

50.000 x 5 % = 2.500 400.000 x 10 % = 40.000

70.000 x 20 % = 14.000

0 x 30 % = 0

0 x 40 % = 0

570.000 income = 56.500 tax/year TOTAL

actually, it's a tiny bit more complicated as they have also a certain amount which is deducted from the income.

last year i declared 350 000 income for the year, so still in the 10% box ('coz the immigration said that if i keep on paying 500 baht tax a year i will not get my visa renewed...), i ended up paying 18500 baht tax (plus 2420 baht fine for paying a few months too late).

the tax for us is mainly important just for the immigration, if you pay too little they will not issue you another visa. basically, you go to the taxoffice, and simply declare the amount which is enough to get a new visa. before they didn't really care, so i got away for a few years with just paying 500 baht.

Excuse me if this sounds like a question born of ignorance (but it is).

How much does it cost to have a simple tax return prepared -say, for example, for a retired person with only a simple source of income?

Do they have tax forms in English?

Since nobody uses checks in this country, how does one PAY one's income taxes if there werent' sufficent taxes witheld?

RickF

Archived