Vernon God Little - book recommendation

carew66

There's only one week to go until the flight...

As soon as STH and myself have got through into the departures lounge of LHR, one of our sticking points will be the airport book store. I've made some pretty good last minute choices - and also some pretty bad ones, it's all part of the fun. I can't stand in-flight movies.

Should you be in a similar position in the run up to your Christmas break in Thailand then I've just finished 'Vernon God Little' by DBC Pierre and I highly recommend it.

Yes - I know it won the Man Booker and normally these choices should be avoided like the plague (IMHO, the judges like to flaunt their intellectuality and 'big up' an often unfathomable tome) but, By George, I think they got it right this time. Wonders will never cease.

Oh - and DBC Pierre is as dodgy as a big bag full of dodgy things from the Planet Dodge...

BUT! If you liked 'Catcher' or (oooh, rare one this) 'There is a Happy Land' by Keith Waterhouse, throw in a bit of 'Columbine', sprinkle with dark humour and mix vigorously, then you'll love Vernon God Little.

--------------

Next week I'll probably be in a rush and end up with Jamie Oliver's Cookbook or something...

(Can you tell I'm bored yet?)

Have you read "Green Eggs and Ham"? ...I highly recomend it for the intelectual adjustment value prior to a week in Pattaya and a must for going 3 rounds in the revolving door with the waitress at breakfast.

Yes - there is shagging in it. Well, I say shagging - more a detailed description of cunnilingus.

You'd love it Sil (the book that is). It's not a million miles away from that Willy Russell book, just more intense. The conflict is similar; a wrongfully accused kid and it all goes Kafka on him - all the way to Death Row but I won't spoil it.

Archived