Royal Jordanian Airlines

aussiejohn

Just to let you know, I'm not an expert in this field, I don't check any statistics, nor rankings for safety etc; , but I was flying from Atlanta to Phoenix once with a Northwest Airlines mechanic and asked him about the safety of some of these "no-name airlines" or of some foreign carriers that you don't really know how they view safety... he told me something, in plain logic that I've never forgotten. He said "imagine all the hundreds of planes in the air, right now, as we speak. Some are major carriers, some are minor, but they all need one thing to happen for them to make money, and that is to deliver you or I from point A to point B, and then usually back again. This happens thousands of time a day, close to a million times a year worldwide with even very few "minor" accidents let alone "major" accidents. Now, how worried should you be?"

I never thought of it in so simple terms. I've flown myself all types of airlines from Mexico to Europe and soon "China Air" to BKK. Am I worried because even some in this board think "China Air" has a previous record of accidents in the last several years? Absolutely not, and the reason is since their last accident, they have probably flown thousands of passengers safely from point A to point B without a problem. So, pardon me if I just sit back, relax, and go to the vacation of my life... I won't worry about safety, unless there's a hurricane or typhoon blowing around... and neither should you.

IMHO smile.gif" border="0

Safety of course is not too much of a concern. But you'll be in a small plane with a lot of loud Arabs, probably even with a stopover somewhere you don't want to be. If the price is right though...

China Airlines is totally OK, I was very pleased with them. Very similar to Thai Airways actually. (Even their safety record is comparable, with TG losing a plane every two years.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

To AUSSIEJOHN:

I flew with Jordanian Airlines for the first and the last time 10 years ago.

I took me 2 days to get to Bangkok. First stop from Amsterdam was Franfurt. 8 hours waiting at the airport because there were problems with the engines of the plane.

Next stop was Amman. Waiting 12 hours! while they tried to fix the plane.

Next day a plane from Singapore Airlines in Amman picked us up and from that moment on I knew I would be in Bangkok very soon.

What has irritated me most however, is the behaviour of the people overthere at the Amman-airport; as a Westerner you felt being looked down upon and treated less than a dog. Also the behaviour of certain people on the plane was very irritating.

Hi Guys,Thanks for the replies.Not worried about the safety aspect,if your number is up it's up,of course if my number isn't,but the pilots is,I'm in deep s**t.Anyway I've good connections going,but returning I've an overnight in Amman.Hotel there is included,at no extra cost to me.I'm usually in the cattle section on planes so wondered what their services etc were like. Have travelled on some longhauls,with the more "BIG NAME CARRIERS",and was less than impressed by some especially Quantas. Maybe just a bad day that time and we all get those sometimes.ALL THE BEST--AUSSIEJOHN.

Archived