Wife in Thailand I'm in Chicago ;-(

steffi

So,

Here we go again my thread about just how difficult is it these days to make a life for yourself in Thailand. You folks who've done it that weren't rolling in cash. What's considered a good safety net if you're in your earliy thirties?

It's 2 degrees here in Chicago and considerably more than that in Bangkok.

i would say that there are more important things to consider than just the safety net. judging from most of your previous posts, which were nearly all extremely negative about thailand and life here, you will not enjoy it here with any amount of money unless you find some way to change attitude. and if you can find some positive things about thailand (apart from the climate) than maybe the money does not matter that much anymore either.

Well I'm a realist when in Thailand but your comments are appreciated. Honestly I'm not that cynical about the place but I do have reservations about making investments there. I just would like to know if the idea is completely farcicle or not from the get go. Living away from my wife is getting old very quickly. If it's any consolation I was equally cynical about life in Australia after a recent trip there with the wife. But there is something to be said about money not being everything in life and I'd definately find myself having to make some big adjustments to move there.

I can empathize with you. I lived most of my life in Chicago and one of the reasons I'm not still there is the weather. I'd rather be too hot than too cold any day. Now, I live in Cambodia and travel to Thailand regularly. I don't make anywhere near the money I made in Chicago but what I do make stretches a lot farther. Why not bring your wife to Chicago and visit Thailand in the winter? I know that's easier said than done but possible!

As a married man you generally feel the pressure to have something stable under your belt and such jobs generally don't provide for long breaks. I've been working mostly contracts in the past so that I had some time to spend with my wife in Asia but that makes finding the next contract very challenging indeed. If I was prepared to make the trip to Asia/Thailand I'd keep an open mind about what I'm prepared to do but off the bat I wouldn't want to have to resort to teaching English there.

I'd like to work in Asia and don't expect the same amount of money but in IT it's tough to get close. I'd be happy with 50-70k baht per month doing something similar to what I'm doing now.

Generally speaking there are more opportunities for my wife in Thailand and I think it's important for her to be with her family than there are outside of a Thailand. At least without having to undertake some further post graduate study somewhere.

Archived